Plot

N/A
Characters

N/A
Writing Style

N/A
Illustrations/Photos (if applicable)

N/A
Another fun Gallagher romp. If you haven't read my review for book #1 (I'd Tell You I Love You, But Then I'd Have To Kill You), I suggest taking a peek because much of my praise and criticism holds true.

Much of the new adventure harkens back to events in the first book. The story opens with Cammie and her mother visiting a secret CIA bunker (via a dressing room in the mall) to take a polygraph test to be sure she didn't permanently compromise Gallagher Academy's cover. I have issues with the CIA using polygraph machines, as they're notoriously unreliable, but that's an argument for another time. The test was only a semi-big deal. The REALLY big deal was the fact that Cammie's mother missed the test to attend to... "things."

Big things. Worrisome things that leave Headmistress Morgan visibly troubled. Only Cammie doesn't know what they are. As far as she and her roommates (Liz, Bex, and Macey) can tell, it has something to do with the East Wing, which has been mysteriously locked down. And possibly something to do with the secretive conversations Cammie's mother has been having with Mr. Solomon and the other teachers. And most definitely something to do with a word Cammie overhears - Blackthorne. Or possibly Black Thorn. They're not sure.

The book is filled with adventure and tense moments. Not tense in the apocalyptic, terrorists-are-attacking sense usually attached to spies (except when a Code Black is issued at Gallagher and CAMMIE is blamed!). No, the most tension comes from the girl stuff, such as the return of Josh, the arrival of a new boy who manages to convince Josh that he and Cammie are dating, and the fact that the new boy can beat Cammie at her own game. Whew, tension.

Unlike the first book, I found more conspicuous plot holes in CMHAHTS (please don't make me type out that entire title) and was dissatisfied and somewhat confused by the explanation given at the end for all the spy-business troubles. But, as always, the characters were enjoyable and genuine, and some showed significant growth from the previous book. In the end, I think, I'll live with myself much easier if I simply swallow the bobbles with the gems, because I really, really want to read that third book.
Good Points
More giddy fun
Report this review Was this review helpful? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account