A hot air balloon ride for peace
Overall rating

Writing Style

Plot

Characters

Illustrations/Photos (if applicable)

N/A
What I liked:
The relatability of Contest of Queens is undeniable; an age-old issue, the upper class versus lower class, laid out in this story as an upper realm and a lower realm. The upper domain has queens, princes, and everything the rich could desire. The lower realm is the working class, who are looked down on by the upper realm. One day the prince years to know more about the lower domain and sends a letter in a boat to the lower realm and what unfolds is a budding friendship between the two kingdoms.
The imaginative way of telling the story where genders are reversed, queens have all the power, the guards are female, and this concept is fully grasped midway through the book. When things go wrong during a visit between the realm, the lower kingdom is punished beyond measure without regard to who could be at fault. Jacs, our main character, is determined to find a way to bridge the gap between the realms and does the unthinkable by building a ballon and entering the Contest of Queens.
Final Verdict:
This tale is a thought-provoking fantasy novel, a story you can fall into and not come for air for hours. I read it in two days. It was that good. Contest of Queens is one of those gems that needs to be found by more people. Strong world-building, good history, and robust feminist approach to societal economics. I am on the edge of my seat for the next installment in this story.
Report this review Was this review helpful? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account