Review Detail

Important Work on Women in Sports
Overall rating 

Writing Style 

Illustrations/Photos (if applicable) 

One hundred years ago. When I was growing up, this seemed like an impossibly long time in the past. The Civil War had just ended! Everything about daily life was drastically different. And now... one hundred years ago, there were cars, refrigerators, knee length dresses, and women playing sports.

As in her Wheels of Change and Motor Girls, Macy presents an astonishing array of information about women in all manner of sports, as well as extremely helpful timelines about other history going on at the time. History textbooks often fail in showing cultural background for events, so I was glad to see two page spreads about events as varied as Prohibition, Lindbergh's Flight and the discovery of penicillin in between chapters, as well as an epilogue detailing important events up to the present time. For young people who struggle to place World War II in history, timelines are an important inclusion.

The array of photographs accompanying all of this information is amazing, and really helps with understanding items like the long skirts on the Vassar Resolutes' 1876 baseball uniforms or the swim suits on the 1924 women's Olympic swim team. I was especially drawn to the running shoes, which looked like they offered no support whatsoever. It must have been difficult to locate all of these, but they add tremendously to the text.
Good Points
The sheer amount of information about women's sports in the 1920s (and a bit before) is impressive. Swimming, baseball, basketball, ice skating, golf, track and field, rowing, aviation, tennis, hockey and even football (soccer) are covered, showcasing outstanding individuals but also giving background about the state of the endeavor for women in general. Of especial interest is the inclusion of the contributions of women of color, as well as the note that some ethnic populations were not found in news articles. Not only are events and individuals covered, but there is discussion on how the public saw women's sports. Young readers born after half court basketball was ended will be shocked to find that it was considered a given that women were "too delicate" for sports, and that female athletes would feel compelled to show they could dress and make themselves up according to feminine ideals at the time also excel at housewifery! My favorite line has got to be Paul Gallico's "If there is anything more dreadful aesthetically or more depressing than the fatigue-distorted face of a girl runner at the finish line, I have never seen it."

The epilogue, with a timeline about highlights in the evolution of women's sports, shows the advances and challenges in the last 100 years. Certainly, there is still progress to be made, and it is helpful to be inspired by women who fought against much greater odds to insure that women and girls would have an equal playing field and as much opportunity as possible. If you have readers who are very interested in this topic, hand them this book along with Jessie Graham Flower's 1911 Grace Harlowe's sophomore year at high school, or, The record of the girl chums in work and athletics. Grace's basketball team's experiences will seem all the more important after reading about the challenges girls faced a decade later!

Breaking Through is a must purchase for all school libraries, and will get equal use for research and for pleasure reading. In fact, since the National History Day theme this year is "Breaking Barriers", it is essential to obtain this title immediately. I'm going to make sure I have two copies, since Macy's works (including the 1996 Winning Ways) are always in demand, and I'm tempted to get a third to deconstruct and make into a bulletin board, which I often consider but never do!
Report this review Was this review helpful to you? 1 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account
Powered by JReviews

Latest Book Listings Added

Unchosen

0.0 (0)
Katharyn Blair crafts a fiercely feminist fantasy with a horrifying...

0.0 (0)
Leanne Strong hates June eighth even though it's supposed to...
The Memory Thief  (Thirteen Witches #1)

0.0 (0)
Twelve-year-old Rosie Singer’s mom is missing whatever it is that...
Singled Out: The True Story of Glenn Burke

0.0 (0)
On October 2nd, 1977, Glenn Burke, outfielder for the Los...
The Elephant in the Room

0.0 (0)
It's been almost a year since Sila's mother traveled halfway...
Alone in the Woods

0.0 (0)
Jocelyn and Alex have always been best friends...until they aren't....
Disaster Days

0.0 (0)
Hannah Steele loves living on Pelling, a tiny island near...
Wild River

0.0 (0)
Daniel Redmayne is fast asleep on the first night of...
In the Penalty Box

0.0 (0)
Willow Figure skating was supposed to be my...

0.0 (0)
3 nights, 2 days, and 1 massive music fest ....
The Afterlife of the Party (Afterlife, #1)

0.0 (0)
I didn’t even want to go to the party. ...

0.0 (0)
Tianna Morgan and her friends run Cadie Mae High. Great...
The Alcazar (The Cerulean, #2)

0.0 (0)
From New York Times bestselling author Amy Ewing comes the...
Tears of Frost (Heart of Thorns, #2)

0.0 (0)
This captivating second book in Bree Barton’s Heart of...
The Broken Raven (Shadow Skye, #2)

0.0 (0)
In the heart-pounding second book in the Shadow Skye...
You Have a Match

0.0 (0)
From the beloved author of Tweet Cute comes Emma...

Latest Member Reviews

The Gilded Ones (Deathless #1)

"THE GILDED ONES by Namina Forna is a YA fantasy novel and the first book in the Deathless series. The..."
Unchosen

"UNCHOSEN is a fantastic and completely captivating YA apocalyptic fantasy, filled with feminism, friendship, sisterhood, and romance. Charlotte is the..."
In the Penalty Box

"IN THE PENALTY BOX is a cute YA contemporary hockey romance. Willow is a figure skater heading for the Olympics,..."
The Afterlife of the Party (Afterlife, #1)

"THE AFTERLIFE OF THE PARTY is a YA vampire book for anyone who doesn't want to make out with the..."
The Alcazar (The Cerulean, #2)

"THE ALCAZAR wraps up an intriguing YA fantasy duology. The book continues to follow four main characters in alternating points-of-view,..."
Super Fake Love Song

"Super Fake Love Song is about Sunny Dae, a Korean American teenager who is a mega-nerd trying to survive at..."
Hot British Boyfriend

"Ellie lives in Washington D.C. and attends an elite school, even though the tuition is a stretch for her single..."
The Cerulean

"THE CERULEAN is an intriguing start to a YA fantasy duology. The book begins with Sera, a Cerulean who has..."
Tales from the Hinterland

"TALES FROM THE HINTERLAND is an enchanting, haunting, and deliciously creepy collection of fairytales. Completely new and unlike anything I..."
You Owe Me a Murder

" *Connor is Deaf and has implants *Alex has light brown skin..."
Across the Green Grass Fields

"I love the Wayward Children series, and the latest installment, ACROSS THE GREEN GRASS FIELDS, is no exception. Here are..."
DEV1AT3

"Feedback What a difference between book 1 and book 2. I enjoyed this one so much more, and I..."
The Broken Raven (Shadow Skye, #2)

"THE BROKEN RAVEN is an intriguing YA fantasy that sweeps the reader away to a land of magic, plotting, and..."
You Have a Match

"YOU HAVE A MATCH is a beautifully written YA contemporary about family, summer, forgiveness, and best friend crushes. Abby is..."
The Ever After (The Omte Origins, #3)

"THE EVER AFTER is the final book in the YA fantasy Omte Origins series, and it goes out with a..."
The Quantum Weirdness of the Almost-Kiss

"THE QUANTUM WEIRDNESS OF THE ALMOST-KISS is a delightful YA STEM-themed romance. Evie and Caleb have been BFFs since they..."
Soul of Cinder (Heart of Thorns, #3)

"SOUL OF CINDER is an intriguing conclusion to a dark YA fantasy trilogy. While in the first book we witnessed..."
The Dark Matter of Mona Starr

"Mona Starr's best friend has moved away, and she can feel her 'matter,' what she calls her depression, swirling all..."
Tears of Frost (Heart of Thorns, #2)

"TEARS OF FROST is an action-packed and dark fantasy sequel to HEART OF THORNS. Whereas we only followed Mia in..."
Emmie and the Tudor King

"I thoroughly enjoyed this time travel romance. The setting was lush, dangerous, and exciting. This book had it all: amazing..."