Review Detail

Life in the Soviet Military
Overall rating 

Writing Style 

Illustrations/Photos (if applicable) 

A Thousand Sisters tells the story of Soviet Airwomen in great detail, drawing on the experiences of many women pilots, some of whom survived the war, and many of whom did not. From the aviation experiences of pilots who ended up being in the 46th Taman Guards Night Bomber Aviation Regiment, to the set up of the Soviet military and the experiences of the women after the war, there is a wealth of detail about missions, living conditions, and the trajectory of the war in general, as it affected these brave women.

My favorite chapter was entitled "Life is Life" and discusses the difficulties and deprivations that these women faced. Since so few women were in the military, they had to endure wearing men's boots and underwear, and supplies were so scarce that often had to wash with water from puddles. While my own grandparents often complained about rationing, I know that they never had to eat wall paper paste or boiled shoes! These are excellent details to make the more quotidianal horrors of war come to life.
Good Points
Even after almost 70 years, World War II remains a topic of fascination for middle grade readers, mainly because there are so many untold stories. One area that is ripe for exploration in the US is the activities of the Russian military during this time. It's sometimes hard to remember, considering all that went on in the latter half of the twentieth century, that Russia was on the Allied side of the war.

It's also hard to remember that in the 1920s and 30s, women were making a lot of progress in many occupations. I loved the statistic that in 1941, nearly one third of all Soviet pilots were female! This mirrors the strides women made in the US workforce before the end of the war returned women all over the world to the kitchen, despite the fact that they had proven that they could do "men's" work.

While this is a rather lengthy book, it would be perfect for National History Day projects on the role of women along with Mary Cronk Farrell's Pure Grit: How WWII Nurses in the Pacific Survived Combat and Prison Camp and and is a perfect companion for explaining the details of Kathryn Lasky's The Night Witches (2017).
Report this review Was this review helpful to you? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account
Powered by JReviews

Latest Book Listings Added

A Small Zombie Problem (Zombie Problems, #1)

0.0 (0)
In his fiction debut--and the start of a new series--celebrated...
My Funny Bunny

0.0 (0)
When a boy receives a gift box from his uncle...
Kindness Rules! (A Hello!Lucky Book)

0.0 (0)
Manners don’t come naturally to everyone! But did you know...
Teeny Tiny Ghost

0.0 (0)
An adorable spooky twist on "The Teeny Tiny Woman" that's...
A Pumpkin for Peter: A Peter Rabbit Tale

0.0 (0)
Hop into the world of Peter Rabbit and his friends...
Solving for M

0.0 (0)
Perfect for fans of Raymie Nightingale and The Fourteenth Goldfish,...
A Parade of Elephants

0.0 (0)
New York Times–bestselling and Caldecott Medalist Kevin Henkes follows five...
My Fate According To The Butterfly

0.0 (0)
When superstitious Sab sees a giant black butterfly, an omen...
The Rough Patch

0.0 (0)
A Caldecott Honor Book An...
Sunny's Tow Truck Saves the Day!

0.0 (0)
When a family car gets a flat on the way...
How to Be a Cat

0.0 (0)
In cut-paper artist Nikki McClure’s latest picture book, a kitten...
TBH, IDK What's Next (TBH, #4)

0.0 (0)
Three BFFs set out to have the BEST SUMMER EVER...
Finding Esme

0.0 (0)
Twelve-year-old Esme’s life changes when she discovers dinosaur bones on...
Five Little Pumpkins on Halloween Night

0.0 (0)
Join these happy pumpkins in a cheerful rhyming countdown, in...
Wreck: A Novel

0.0 (0)
Set on the shores of Lake Superior, Wreck follows high...
The Madman of Piney Woods

0.0 (0)
Benji and Red couldn't be more different. They aren't friends....

Latest Member Reviews

My Almost Flawless Tokyo Dream Life

"Sixteen-year-old foster kid Elle Zoellner's life turns topsy turvy when a father, she never knew about, wants her to move..."
Truly Madly Royally

"I’d be lying if I didn’t say that half of the reason why I read this was because it’s a..."
Finding Esme

"Esme feels alone. Her much-loved grandfather died, her dad deserted the family, her mom has mentally checked out, and her..."
House of Salt and Sorrows

"Annaleigh just wanted to be in charge of the lighthouse close to her island home. Rumors circulate on the island..."
Wreck: A Novel

"WRECK is a heart-wrenching story about a teenage girl on the brink of college as she discovers her father's life-altering..."
Reverie

"REVERIE is a captivating and unique YA fantasy without adequate comparisons. The book follows Kane, a teenage boy who was..."
Coral

"CORAL is not a fairytale retelling of THE LITTLE MERMAID- while it may have been inspired by some of the..."
You Are The Everything

"YOU ARE THE EVERYTHING is an intriguing stream-of-consciousness style read that follows Elyse Schmidt, a 16/17 year old girl who..."
The Last Hope

"I honestly don’t know where to begin! The Last Hope by Krista & Becca Ritchie picks up thirty days after..."

"Most books about a school shooting would start with the horrific event at the center of story, but EVERY MOMENT..."
The Bone Houses

"THE BONE HOUSES is a beautifully crafted and full engrossing YA fantasy with some horror aspects. Aderyn (Ryn) is a..."
The Silence Between Us

"THE SILENCE BETWEEN US is an #ownvoices story about Maya, a senior in high school who has just moved with..."
Beasts of the Frozen Sun

"BEASTS OF THE FROZEN SUN features lush world-building, compelling characters, and a captivating plot that make it an engrossing read...."
Snow & Rose

"NOTE: Opinions expressed in this review are completely my own."
Where I End and You Begin

"All Ezra wants to do is ask his crush Imogen to the prom. But when he and his friend Holden..."
Hearts, Strings, and Other Breakable Things

"When Edie moves back to Mansfield to life with her aunt, uncle, and two cousins, she is reunited with her..."
The Beholder

"When Selah's proposal to her childhood crush is rejected, she is sent away on a boat to meet possible suitors...."
The Burning Shadow (Origin Series, #2)

"THE BURNING SHADOW is a fantastic and thrilling continuation of the spin-off Origin series. Just like the original series, there..."
Gods of Jade and Shadow

"Eighteen-year-old Casiopea feels trapped in her rich grandfather’s home in southern Mexico. She wants to leave their small town and..."

"THE HIVE by Barry Lyga and Morgan Baden is a YA sci-fi novel set in the near future. In this..."