Review Detail

Things to Do Before You're 30
Overall rating

Writing Style

Illustrations/Photos (if applicable)

N/A
When I heard about the book THINGS TO DO BEFORE YOU’RE 30 by Jessica Misener, I knew I had to read it. I’m about to enter my late twenties in a few shorts months, and amongst all my friends, there is a collective feeling that we’re not doing enough. That we could do more. Be more. Do better. It’s exhausting. In fact, I was first drawn to the book because I thought, “Oh no! What haven’t I done yet? Is there something I’m unaware of that I’m supposed to be doing?” Talk about textbook definition of FOMO.

There also was another part of me that was hoping this book would have the answers to life. For example, “If you do XYZ by the time you’re 30, you’ll be rich, beautiful, and spiritually awakened forever.” I could really use that kind of guidance right now, and I know I’m not the only twentysomething who feels the same way.

Instead, I was surprised to find that the book was more of a list of activities, and next to each one is a little box that you can check off as you complete it. Misener gives places to visit, events to attend, books to read, community service ideas, and more. Her suggestions are thoughtful and focus on expanding world view and experience, but also on injecting a little fun into an often fraught decade. Her advice isn’t hokey or obvious, and peppered in among the bigger endeavors are quieter ones, like ending a feud with a sibling, listening to your parents’ favorite music albums, and praying.

THINGS TO DO BEFORE YOU’RE 30 is also not exclusive to those under 30. It can serve as a bucket list for anyone at any age. However, the book does evoke a certain kinship among us millennials. It may not necessarily give us the answers to our lives, but it at least lets us know we’re not alone in our struggle and that it gets better. Pair Misener’s book with DELAYING THE REAL WORLD: A TWENTYSOMETHING’S GUIDE TO SEEKING ADVENTURE by Colleen Kinder, and the next batch of thirty year olds are going to have quite the stories.
Report this review Was this review helpful? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account