Review Detail

College and the How To's of Adulting
(Updated: August 20, 2017)
Overall rating 

Writing Style 

Illustrations/Photos (if applicable) 

As approachable as it is pragmatic, this college primer could largely double as a bite-sized approach to post high school transitions. (Essentially, Adulting 101.)

This handbook is a quick read composed of 119 pages, broken into 4 sections (Campus Life, Academic Success, Social Skills, and Financial Aid), which are then sub-divided into between 10 and 14 two-page spreads. The color scheme is simplistic, varying from duo-chrome to more thoroughly multi-colored pages with a hefty use of symbols and base images interspersed. Lists, highlighting, strategic spacing, and a variety of font styles are also utilized to prevent blocks of text from becoming too daunting. The presentation is pretty straight-forward and effectively factual.

In this reader’s opinion, the best advice to be had can be found on page 55, which consists of paper-writing tips. Speaking as someone who’s gone to college twice, I can say with some confidence that the information here would have saved me a great deal of needlessly expended time and grief (had I been privileged with it up front rather than muddling my way through trial-and-error.)

Note: While it may initially seem as though the book’s advice on Spring Break is entirely vacation focused (appealing only to the more fiscally endowed students), this is later amended on page 38, where tight budgets and alternative options are taken into consideration.

There are a few minor drawbacks to this book, and how much they matter to readers will no doubt vary widely:

* Although there are plenty of practical step-by-step instructions, there’s little explanation offered as to why certain things should be done. (Example: In the section explaining how to do laundry, it’s stated “Don’t forget to clean out the lint trap!” But it does not mention that failure to do so may result in a serious fire hazard.) Those who prefer to be given the reasoning behind directives will need to supplement with their own research.

* While the target audience is fresh high school grads, the casual assumption of alcohol intake is laid on pretty thick. There is some definitely necessary and prudent advice on taking care when one does choose to drink (i.e. avoiding drugged drinks and the physiological factors to consider in preventing alcohol poisoning), but there’re also two-page spreads dedicated to teaching the rules to 4 of the more popular drinking games and ‘12 Tips For Hosting A Memorable (killer) Party.’

* Faith-based clubs and organizations of any sort are completely left out of mention, though it’s reasonable many students may find this a desired part of their college connectivity and social support structure.
-------------

A sufficiently solid choice for recent high school grads and/or reluctant non-fiction instructional readers, as well as a potential quick refresher for all those pressed-for-time parents.
Report this review Was this review helpful to you? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account
Powered by JReviews

Latest Book Listings Added

Wings of Ebony (Wings of Ebony, #1)

0.0 (0)
In this riveting, keenly emotional debut fantasy, a Black teen...
You Say It First

0.0 (0)
One conversation can change everything. Meg has her entire...
My High School Royal Boyfriend

0.0 (0)
ALEX A tragedy at Langley Estate puts my family...
The Forgotten World (The World Apart Series Book 3)

5.0 (2)

0.0 (0)
Clark thought he knew what grief was. Addie thought...
Tales from the Hinterland

0.0 (0)
A gorgeously illustrated collection of twelve “lush and deliciously...
Sisters of Shadow and Light

0.0 (0)
From the acclaimed author of Defy, Sara B. Larson,...
In the Penalty Box

0.0 (0)
Willow Figure skating was supposed to be my whole...
Unchosen

0.0 (0)
Katharyn Blair crafts a fiercely feminist fantasy with a horrifying...
Miracle Girl

0.0 (0)
Leanne Strong hates June eighth even though it's supposed to...
The Memory Thief  (Thirteen Witches #1)

0.0 (0)
Twelve-year-old Rosie Singer’s mom is missing whatever it is that...
Singled Out: The True Story of Glenn Burke

0.0 (0)
On October 2nd, 1977, Glenn Burke, outfielder for the Los...
The Elephant in the Room

0.0 (0)
It's been almost a year since Sila's mother traveled halfway...
Alone in the Woods

0.0 (0)
Jocelyn and Alex have always been best friends...until they aren't....
Disaster Days

0.0 (0)
Hannah Steele loves living on Pelling, a tiny island near...
Wild River

0.0 (0)
Daniel Redmayne is fast asleep on the first night of...
The Last Hurrah

0.0 (0)
3 nights, 2 days, and 1 massive music fest ....

Latest Member Reviews

Murder Among the Stars

"MURDER AMONG THE STARS by Laura L. Sullivan and Adam Shankman is the second in the Lulu Kelly Mystery Series...."
Nevermore (Nevermore #1)

"What a ride! As a Poe enthusiast, I found this book irresistible. I struggled to put it down. And, when..."
Enshadowed (Nevermore #2)

"First off... that freaking cliffhanger!? I can't even... I could not imagine having read this the year it came out..."
Nevermore (Nevermore #1)

" It's great! What I love the most is how dark and gritty the world felt. It was so cool..."
Tiger Eyes

"4.5 Stars A great and emotional read. A young teenage girl; Davey struggles with the loss of her father..."
The Shadow Behind the Stars

" The Shadow Behind the Stars features the three fates of Greek mythology. On a desolate island the sisters..."
Noggin

" This book was hilarious. Normally I don't read book from male point of views,..."
Noggin

"The concept for this book was interesting and it was interesting to see how each person dealt with Travis being..."

"The book The House of the Scorpions by Nancy Farmer is a fantastic book. Matt is a clone of a..."
Enshadowed (Nevermore #2)

"Okay, I am being super picky. Yes, the book was good. (Kinda slow. Lots of time in Isobel's head)...."
Infinite Sky (Infinite Sky #1)

"C.J. Flood delivers a heart-rending story of first love, family drama, and forgiveness. Lily is a troubled thirteen..."
When I Was the Greatest

"As ever with audio, I can’t really say whether I would have enjoyed the book as much in print. All..."