Review Detail

Popular: How A Geek in Pearls Discovered the Secret to Confidence
(Updated: May 07, 2015)
Overall rating 

Writing Style 

Illustrations/Photos (if applicable) 

Most so-called memoirs can come off dry or not too interesting. POPULAR isn't that book. Rather it's an enchanting journey of a fifteen-year-old as she uses a copy of a 1950s Popularity Guide for her eighth grade school year.

What worked: I totally loved the voice of Mayra! Heart felt advice is throughout this book! Her journal-like entries start in September with her tackling a chapter per month from a dusty Betty Cornell's Teen-Age Popularity Guide her family finds after cleaning out her Dad's office. Mayra brushes it off at first but her mother gives her an idea--why not follow the advice and write about it?

From there Mayra starts her experiment. She breaks down the table of contents by month and hopes by the end of eighth grade, she'll know what being popular not only is but feels like. Some things she tackles are figure and skin problems to clothes and what to wear.

Loved, loved, loved!

There are some hilarious accounts on how she translates some 1950s advice into something a teen now would do. Some of my favorites had to be having her mother put her hair up in rag curls and the end result. Also the girdle experience is totally hilarious! All in all though one thing Mayra does is find her unique voice and something that transfers her from a shy teen into one with confidence. And isn't that what being popular is all about?

Mixed throughout are Mayra's own popularity tips that I know will resonate with teens. The photos of Mayra show her experiment and also a glimpse of her family and the real Betty Cornell who she finally met.

Mayra middle school is located by the border and shows some realistic portrayals of the town. Some might think it's too harsh but I love that she doesn't dwell on the negative but rather shows us some positive things. One thing I totally related with as an older reader had to be how Mayra is a quarter Latina in a school that is over 90% Latino, so she doesn't have enough Latina blood to be considered that. That's been my own experience.

Enchanting journey of a real teen's popularity experiment that will have you laugh, smile, and cheer her on as she finds the real key to popularity. A must read!
Report this review Was this review helpful to you? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account
Powered by JReviews

Latest Book Listings Added

Endgame (The Wielders of Arantha Book 3)

0.0 (0)
Go to Mount Calabur. Stand on the Nexus. Win the...
Fae's Promise (Crimes of the Fae)

0.0 (0)
Griffin O’Shea is trapped. Again....
The Lost Prince (The Nihryst Book 2)

0.0 (0)
A mythical healing flower. A fractured kingdom. A curse unbroken....
Instant Karma

0.0 (0)
In New York Times bestselling author Marissa Meyer's young adult...
Put Yourself in My Shoes

0.0 (0)
When Cricket goes for a walk, he finds Ladybug searching...
Selma

0.0 (0)
Selma is asked: What is happiness? ...
Benjamin's Blue Feet

0.0 (0)
A young bird with a flair for discovery and invention...
Pocket Piggies: I Love You!

0.0 (0)
What’s the best thing in the world? I...
Everything Under the Sun

0.0 (0)
Sun’s Reach is in dire peril. The last...
Lizzy Albright and the Attic Window

0.0 (0)
Lizzy Albright, a red-headed, freckle-faced girl from Overland Park, Kansas,...
Send Me Their Souls (Bring Me Their Hearts, #3)

0.0 (0)
There are worse things than death. ...
The Walrus and the Caribou

0.0 (0)
When the earth was new, words had the power to...
The Elephant's Umbrella

0.0 (0)
Elephant is always ready and willing to share her prized...
Calvin Gets the Last Word

0.0 (0)
The dictionary as narrator? YES! ...
Goblin King (Permafrost, #2)

0.0 (0)
In Kara Barbieri's Goblin King, the stunning sequel in the...
Hollowpox: The Hunt for Morrigan Crow (Nevermoor, #3)

0.0 (0)
Morrigan battles a new evil as a strange, frightening illness...

Latest Member Reviews

Put Yourself in My Shoes

"PUT YOURSELF IN MY SHOES is a cute picture book about empathy and friendship. Cricket is going on a walk..."
Selma

"SELMA is a simple book that seeks to tackle a complex topic- what is happiness? The answer goes back to..."
Benjamin's Blue Feet

"BENJAMIN'S BLUE FEET is a picture book that deals with body image and insecurity. Benjamin is a blue-footed booby and..."
Pocket Piggies: I Love You!

"POCKET PIGGIES: I LOVE YOU! is another adorable collection of photographs of real pocket pigs. Each page features a short..."
The Walrus and the Caribou

"THE WALRUS AND THE CARIBOU is a delightful picture book that captures Indigenous folklore about the creation of animals. Guk..."
The Elephant's Umbrella

"THE ELEPHANT'S UMBRELLA is a picture book with great illustrations and a moral of kindness. The elephant has a special..."
Calvin Gets the Last Word

"CALVIN GETS THE LAST WORD is a cute picture book told from the perspective of Calvin's beloved dictionary. He is..."
Hollowpox: The Hunt for Morrigan Crow (Nevermoor, #3)

"HOLLOWPOX is an engaging middle grade fantasy that takes the reader on a magical journey to the Wundrous Society. Morrigan..."
How to Catch a Yeti

"HOW TO CATCH A YETI is a delightful picture book about a group of children who, as the title implies,..."
Along Came a Fox

"ALONG CAME A FOX is the story of Bramble, who is excited to find some fireflies. Her friends tell her..."
Rosa's Big Pizza Experiment (Rosa's Workshop)

"ROSA'S BIG PIZZA EXPERIMENT is a cute picture book about the process to make a pizza, beginning with the flour,..."
Rosa's Big Sunflower Experiment (Rosa's Workshop)

"ROSA'S BIG SUNFLOWER EXPERIMENT is a cute picture book that brings science and plant facts to young children. Rosa and..."