Review Detail

Reads Like a Crime Novel
Overall rating 

Writing Style 

Illustrations/Photos (if applicable) 

November 22, 2013 marks the 50th anniversary of the Kennedy assassination. James L. Swanson’s novel comes at a perfect time to provide a vivid and engaging account of this event to younger generations.

The President has been Shot is an amazing narrative fiction following the order of events leading to and following the assassination of John F. Kennedy in 1963. James L. Swanson’s storytelling is superb. Although I know many of the details surrounding JFK’s assassination, I couldn’t put this book down. He weaves pictures, historical documents, and diagrams into the narrative creating the effect of a crime novel while keeping it an unbiased account.

I read this book in one day and would recommend it to anyone. Great read for any age, this book is written simply to allow anyone to understand the gravity of the event. Swanson makes a complicated event understandable to children. The background’s on the President and Oswald’s life were a bit brief but it allowed the narrative to move quickly. The President has been Shot is a great place for any young historian to start learning about JFK.
Report this review Was this review helpful to you? 2 0

Comments

1 results - showing 1 - 1
Ordering
Already have an account? or Create an account
February 11, 2015
I love nonfiction, but find good ones hard to find. I will have to check this one out. :-)
1 results - showing 1 - 1
Powered by JReviews

Latest Book Listings Added

Secondhand Dogs

0.0 (0)
A heartwarming—and heart-tugging—middle grade novel about love, loyalty, and what...
High School Musical: The Musical: The Series: The Road Trip

0.0 (0)
Join everyone's favorite Wildcats from the Disney+ smash hit original...
I'll Meet You in Your Dreams

0.0 (0)
A heartwarming text honoring the ever-evolving relationship of a parent...
Colors of Habitats

0.0 (0)
The brand-new sequel to a well-reviewed bestseller that has been...
Noble Thief (Fantasy and Fairytales Book 6)

0.0 (0)
A prince of two kingdoms. A woman fighting against the...
10 Truths and a Dare

0.0 (0)
It's Senior Party Week, that magical in-between time after classes...
All These Bodies

0.0 (0)
Sixteen bloodless bodies. Two teenagers. One impossible explanation. ...
The Beautiful Ones

0.0 (0)
They are the Beautiful Ones, Loisail’s most notable socialites, and...
I Am the Shark

0.0 (0)
What makes the great white shark (one of) the greatest...
Made in Korea

0.0 (0)
Frankly in Love meets Shark Tank in this feel-good romantic...
Take Me Home Tonight

0.0 (0)
Ferris Bueller’s Day Off meets Nick and Nora’s Infinite...
The People We Choose

5.0 (1)
When 17-year-old Calliope meets her new neighbor Max, their...

Latest Member Reviews

The Case of the Missing Cheetah

"Three curious little girls find their way into the midst of a secret spy organization in The Case of the..."
Escape from the Roller Ghoster

"What a fun story! Escape From the Roller Ghoster by Andres Miedoso is the eleventh installment of Desmond Cole Ghost..."
The Captive Kingdom

"*I received an eARC of this book through Edelweiss+ in exchange for an honest review* Jaron has returned with..."

"If your expecting the same type of books that you’ve been reading in this series, you’d be wrong. This whole..."
TURBO Racers: Escape Velocity

"TURBO RACERS: ESCAPE VELOCITY is a fast-paced, high-stakes adventure. Mace Blazer is a TURBOnaut, a high-speed vehicle racer. He recently..."
Brother's Keeper

"BROTHER'S KEEPER is a highly engrossing and heartfelt read about a 12-year-old girl and her dangerous journey from North to..."
The Bad Guys in the Baddest Day Ever (The Bad Guys #10)

"Snake is dead, and the Bad Guys, as well as the League of Heroes, are gathered for the funeral. Faced..."
Brother's Keeper

"In 1950, Sora Pak lives in North Korea with her mother (Omahni), father (Abahji), and younger brothers Youngsoo and Jisoo...."
Star Wars: Jedi Academy: Attack of the Furball

"Have you ever tried to sneak a pet home past your parents? Did you think you could keep that pet..."
Spider-Man: Far From Home: Peter and Ned's Ultimate Travel Journal

"Spider-Man: Far From Home: Peter and Ned's Ultimate Travel Journal by Preeti Chhibber is a fun, beautifully illustrated read for..."
Wonder Woman: Warbringer (DC Icons #1)

"I snapped this one up because I love Wonder Woman, and I much appreciated Leigh Bardugo's adept writing in Six..."
The Edge of the Word (Mightier than the Sword, #2)

"THE EDGE OF THE WORD is another absolutely delightful interactive story, where you are the main character in the book...."