Review Detail

A Child Called It
Overall rating 

Writing Style 

Illustrations/Photos (if applicable) 

Reader reviewed by BooksObsession

This was one of the most depressing books that I have ever read. It's extremely sad and the end didn't seem to bring any hope to the poor boy's future. Since it's also based on a true story, it made it even more upsetting. The ways that the mother treated her son and punished him was almost unhuman! I found myself holding back tears, and other times wanting to just punch the book because I was so mad about something that had happened. I think that the book would've been much better if there was just a little bit more spark at the end to hint to some hope.

Report this review Was this review helpful to you? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account
Powered by JReviews

Latest Book Listings Added

A Small Zombie Problem (Zombie Problems, #1)

0.0 (0)
In his fiction debut--and the start of a new series--celebrated...
My Funny Bunny

0.0 (0)
When a boy receives a gift box from his uncle...
Kindness Rules! (A Hello!Lucky Book)

0.0 (0)
Manners don’t come naturally to everyone! But did you know...
Teeny Tiny Ghost

0.0 (0)
An adorable spooky twist on "The Teeny Tiny Woman" that's...
A Pumpkin for Peter: A Peter Rabbit Tale

0.0 (0)
Hop into the world of Peter Rabbit and his friends...
Solving for M

0.0 (0)
Perfect for fans of Raymie Nightingale and The Fourteenth Goldfish,...
A Parade of Elephants

0.0 (0)
New York Times–bestselling and Caldecott Medalist Kevin Henkes follows five...
My Fate According To The Butterfly

0.0 (0)
When superstitious Sab sees a giant black butterfly, an omen...
The Rough Patch

0.0 (0)
A Caldecott Honor Book An...
Sunny's Tow Truck Saves the Day!

0.0 (0)
When a family car gets a flat on the way...
How to Be a Cat

0.0 (0)
In cut-paper artist Nikki McClure’s latest picture book, a kitten...
TBH, IDK What's Next (TBH, #4)

0.0 (0)
Three BFFs set out to have the BEST SUMMER EVER...
Finding Esme

0.0 (0)
Twelve-year-old Esme’s life changes when she discovers dinosaur bones on...
Five Little Pumpkins on Halloween Night

0.0 (0)
Join these happy pumpkins in a cheerful rhyming countdown, in...
Wreck: A Novel

0.0 (0)
Set on the shores of Lake Superior, Wreck follows high...
The Madman of Piney Woods

0.0 (0)
Benji and Red couldn't be more different. They aren't friends....

Latest Member Reviews

Dance of Thieves (Dance of Thieves, #1)

"Absolutely fantastic! "Dance of Thieves" is a really wonderful YA fantasy that takes place in the world of 'The Remnant..."
David Inside Out

"David Inside Out is a novel about a teenager (David) who is discovering he is gay. In David's high school,..."
The 13th Sign

"At the beginning of THE 13TH SIGN, Jalen doesn't believe in astrology's impact on human's lives; however, she's forced to..."
Ruby Red (The Ruby Red Trilogy #1)

"Wow, just wow. Aside from a few character points, these books could not have been better. I read Ruby Red..."

"Ruby Red was a fun time travel book with quite a bit of heart behind it. I enjoyed reading about..."

"What I Liked: Ruby Red is a really fast-paced, light, humorous read and I was flipping pages like a mad..."

N/A
"Ruby Red is my first time travel novel, and it's great to read something else then my regular YA books...."

" I really enjoyed Ruby Red, first in the trilogy by German author Kerstin Gier. Time travel is one of..."
Newes from the Dead

"I think this is a perfect example of why Goodreads is so awesome, because I never would have found this..."
Newes from the Dead

"I think this is a perfect example of why Goodreads is so awesome, because I never would have found this..."

"I actually almost gave up and stopped reading this one a few times. I found the beginning to be extremely..."

" I had always liked the front cover of Radiance. It had always seemed so peaceful and angelic, like a..."
Home of the Brave

"Katherine Applegate's gorgeous Home of the Brave tells the story of Kek, a Sudanese refugee who moves to Minnesota to..."
Whirligig

"Paul Fleischman's tale of atonement is deceptive. It has a strange drawing on the cover (which turns out to be..."

"Mary, Mary quite contrary, how does your garden grow? With silver bells and cockle shells, and people all in a..."

"Reader reviewed by Th Flashlight Reader Mary, Mary quite contrary, how does your garden grow? With silver bells and..."
Candyfloss

"Reader reviewed by Riley      The book Candyfloss, by Jacqueline Wilson, is a great book about a 10 year..."
Boy2Girl

"Reader reviewed by Jessica Puopolo My friend told me that Boy2Girl by Terence Blacker was a great book and I..."
Boy2Girl

"Reader reviewed by mearley After Sam moves in with his cousin Matthew's family, he agrees to an initiation into Matthew's..."
Boy2Girl

"Reader reviewed by wdebo After his mom's death, Sam goes and lives with his cousin in Britain. To hang out..."