Review Detail

Young Adult Nonfiction 1446
Repetitive and disappointing
Overall rating 

Writing Style 

Illustrations/Photos (if applicable) 

Reader reviewed by Dede

I really wanted to read this book by Johnny Cash's first wife, especially after seeing Walk the Line. It was good in that it showed her side of the story, but she didn't go too deep into anything. It was interesting to see how she viewed their marriage and their life apart. My one complaint, and it's a big one, is that 269 pages of the book are letters from Johnny to Vivian while he was in the army. There was nothing to compare them to because she didn't include any of hers to him, but they very quickly become repetitive. Johnny wrote her almost every single day, which is sweet, but it got a bit annoying to read so many letters when alot of them said the same thing and there seemed to be a million "honeys" "sweeties" and "I love you's." After the letters there are 51 pages of Vivian describing things from her side of the story. This book would have been better if there were less letters and more Vivian Cash.
Report this review Was this review helpful to you? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account
Powered by JReviews

Latest Book Listings Added

The Beautiful Ones

5.0 (1)
They are the Beautiful Ones, Loisail’s most notable socialites,...
Ember of Night

0.0 (0)
I am a weed. Unloved by my abusive, alcoholic...
Made in Korea

0.0 (0)
Frankly in Love meets Shark Tank in this feel-good...
Perfectly Parvin

0.0 (0)
Fourteen-year-old Iranian-American Parvin Mohammadi sets out to win the...
Havoc (Haven, #2)

0.0 (0)
For the first time in his life, Rain Ryland...
Finding Junie Kim

0.0 (0)
Junie Kim just wants to fit in. So she keeps...
Parachutes

0.0 (0)
Speak enters the world of Gossip Girl in this modern...
The Bachmann Family Secret

0.0 (0)
Jaret Bachmann travels with his family to his beloved...
Sister of the Bollywood Bride

0.0 (0)
For fans of Morgan Matson's Save the Date comes a...
Nosotros Means Us: Un cuento bilingüe

0.0 (0)
A moving bilingual ode to the unshakeable bond between a...
Awakened Are the Starry-Eyed

0.0 (0)
A new city and unexpected freedom give Andrea the fresh...
A Brutal Justice

0.0 (0)
Protect the weak. Safety for all. Power without virtue is...
A Tale of Ashes

0.0 (0)
Across the country, human teens are going missing, and all...
The Captain's Daughters

0.0 (0)
What would you do if you were abducted by aliens,...
The Hollow Inside

0.0 (0)
Seventeen-year-old Phoenix has spent much of her life drifting from...
Truth or Dare

0.0 (0)
Welcome to Summervale… One of the USA’s top vacation...

Latest Member Reviews

High School Musical: The Musical: The Series: The Road Trip

"HIGH SCHOOL MUSICAL: THE MUSICAL: THE SERIES: THE ROAD TRIP is a fun book that compliments the show by diving..."
Homer on the Case

"HOMER ON THE CASE is a delightful middle grade mystery, featuring unlikely detectives. Homer, a homing pigeon, and Lulu, a..."
Shoe Wars

"SHOE WARS is a silly fun middle grade read that is somewhere between a graphic novel and chapter book. The..."
Spin with Me

"SPIN WITH ME is a heartfelt middle grade contemporary about labels and love. Essie has been moved across the country..."
Quintessence

"Alma and her family have moved to Four Points for her parents' work as real estate lawyers. She has always..."
A Thousand Questions

"Mimi and her mother like in Houston, Texas, but things have not been going well lately. Her father, a US..."
A Thousand Questions

"A THOUSAND QUESTIONS is a heartfelt contemporary middle grade that transports the reader to Pakistan. Mimi is 11 years old..."
Stolen from the Studio (Case Closed, #2)

"STOLEN FROM THE STUDIO is a fun middle grade mystery with a choose-your-own-adventure plot. Carlos travels with his mother, a..."
The Places We Sleep

"THE PLACES WE SLEEP is a moving middle grade historical that takes place around 9/11. The book is written entirely..."
Harvey Holds His Own (The Harvey Stories, #2)

"HARVEY HOLDS HIS OWN is a contemporary middle grade told from three perspectives: Maggie, Harvey, and Austin. Maggie is starting..."
And Then I Turned into a Mermaid (And Then I Turned into a Mermaid, #1)

"AND THEN I TURNED INTO A MERMAID is a cute and funny middle grade fantasy that follows Molly. Molly is..."
TBH, Too Much Drama (TBH, #3)

"'TBH: Too Much Drama' by Lisa Greenwald is another one of her creative stories told in text messages, emails, and..."
Quintessence

"QUINTESSENCE is a charming and enchanting middle grade fantasy. Alma moved to Four Points, and she has felt a little..."
The Cassandra Curse (Muse Squad, #1)

"MUSE SQUAD: THE CASSANDRA CURSE is a fun middle grade fantasy that brings Greek mythology into the present. Callie is..."
In the Role of Brie Hutchens...

"IN THE ROLE OF BRIE HUTCHENS... is an engaging middle grade contemporary novel about coming out. Brie dreams of being..."
How to Disappear Completely

"HOW TO DISAPPEAR COMPLETELY is a beautiful story about grief and self-confidence. Emma was very close to her grandmother, who..."
Starfell: Willow Moss & the Lost Day (Starfell, #1)

"STARFELL is a charming and magic-filled middle grade fantasy that sweeps young readers away into another world. Willow Moss seemed..."
The Peacock Detectives

"THE PEACOCK DETECTIVES is a story told by a young narrator, who is in Grade 6 but reads at a..."
The Monster Hypothesis

"THE MONSTER HYPOTHESIS is a really fun middle grade investigative mystery. Kick is living with her grandmother, a fake psychic..."
The Edge of the Word (Mightier than the Sword, #2)

"THE EDGE OF THE WORD is another absolutely delightful interactive story, where you are the main character in the book...."