Review Detail

What is roaming the forest?
Overall rating 

Plot/Characters/Writing Style 

Illustrations/Photos (if applicable) 

I saw ears pricked forward, quivering nostrils, blazing eyes. A huge brown creature hurtled toward us&we were being attacked!

I covered my face with my hands. There was a crash through the underbrush. Then&silence&

Are you okay? Neeta asked. That deer really startled you.

Deer? Oh. Yes. The deer. Cute little Bambi it was not.

Gwynne is a city girl through and through. Born and raised in New York City, she has the perfect summer plans to finally get her on the school A-list. With aerobics classes, personnel makeovers, and shopping sprees, nothing can stop Gwynne from becoming popular.

That is, until her parents drop the bomb.

Rather than spending a few weeks in LA while her parents spend their second honeymoon in Europe, Gwynne is being shipped of to a small Oregon town called Adler to visit her cousin Neeta. Gwynne, naturally, is shocked beyond compare. What is there in Oregon besides trees anyway? Is she doomed to spend her summer vacation trapped amongst tree-huggers?

At first, Gwynnes worst fears seem to be confirmed. Rather than being interested in boys and makeup, all her cousin seems concerned about is saving some old forest from becoming a resort. Slowly Gwynne becomes accustomed to the small town life, and even agrees to go on a camping trip.

Camping turns out to be harder than she expected. No showers, no electricity, wild animals, and Bigfoot? No thank you! But when Gwynne learns to focus on other instead of herself, she ends up finding a treasure she never could have imagined.

Walk Softly and Watch Out for Bigfoot is a fun and quick read. For those of you city-dwellers whove ever imagined life away from all the hustle and bustle, the book offers a great look at what life in a rural town offers. Filled with plenty of humor, drama, and culture clashes, readers will also be surprised to find lots of facts about taking care of the environment. Recommended for readers 12 and up, especially those looking for a wilderness adventure.
AF
Report this review Was this review helpful to you? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account
Powered by JReviews

Latest Book Listings Added

A Thousand Questions

0.0 (0)
Set against the backdrop of Karachi, Pakistan, Saadia Faruqi’s tender...

0.0 (0)
Second in a new series about a bright and determined...

0.0 (0)
There's a chill in the air and frost on the...

0.0 (0)
Disney’s classic animated films come to life in the latest...
Fence: Striking Distance

0.0 (0)
The boys of Kings Row bout with drama, rivalry, and...
Pirate Nell's Tale to Tell

0.0 (0)
From the author/illustrator team behind The Snatchabook comes a book-filled...
The Glass Queen (The Forest of Good and Evil, #2)

0.0 (0)
Once Upon a Time meets Game of Thrones in...
Skyhunter (Skyhunter, #1)

0.0 (0)
A broken world. An overwhelming evil. A team of...
Finding Balance

0.0 (0)
Jase Ellison doesnt remember having acute lymphocytic leukemia when...
Be a Voter!: 450 Stickers for Democracy

0.0 (0)
Get out the vote! It’s...
I Believe In You

0.0 (0)
A charming picture book that inspires confidence, boosts self-esteem, and...
Breathless

0.0 (0)
From Jennifer Niven, the #1 New York Times bestselling...
Of Thorns and Beauty (Twisted Pages Book 1)

0.0 (0)
You think you know the tale as old time,...
The Verity

0.0 (0)
When being eaten alive is the least of your...
Meanwhile

0.0 (0)
Celebrate 10 years of this completely original graphic novel take...
Grant Beagan: The Finder's Code

0.0 (0)
He’s just an ordinary teenager who likes astronomy, video games,...

Latest Member Reviews

Spies and Prejudice

"I'm a huge fan of the TV series Veronica Mars and was really excited to be able to read a..."
Spies and Prejudice

"I've been waiting forever to share my thoughts on this one, guys. I read it back in January because...how could..."
Spies and Prejudice

"My relationship with this book is rather complicated. As a retelling of JA's Pride and Prejudice, it was fun. There..."
Silver (Bandia #1)

"Silver by Talia Vance ARC received from Flux Books via Netgalley Release Date: 9-8-2012 Reviewed by: Middle Sis..."
Silver (Bandia #1)

"**Note** An eBook of this title was provided by the publishers via Net Galley. However, that did not influence this..."
Silver (Bandia #1)

"Love that's destined to cause feuds and wars. There's something about that type of love that has readers coming back..."