Review Detail

2.0 2
Young Adult Fiction 2391
Dazzling Holiday Short Stories
Overall rating

Plot

Characters

Writing Style

This riveting quartet of short stories from best-selling YA writers Hailey Abbot, Melissa de la Cruz, Aimee Friedman, and Nina Malkin will knock you right out of your reading doldrums, guaranteed (it sure did for me).

In "Working in a Winter Wonderland" by Aimee Friedman, Maxine Silver bemoans the emphasis on Christmas via Hanukkah. Imagine her surprise when she is soon working as Santa's elf. This story made me laugh out loud--and the ending surprised me.

Hailey Abbott's "Have Yourself a Merry Little Breakup" is another delightful romance, celebrating friendship, love, and new years filled with the pleasures of new beginnings.

"Scenes from a Cinematic New Year's" by Nina Malkin is a stunner. Frankly, my first impression was that I wasn't going to like it. However, if I had to pick a favorite (and I'm glad I don't) of the four, this story just might be it. It's a haunting tale of redemption, with an amazing twist. I loved it.

Melissa de la Cruz shines with "The Christmas Choos," an inventive, aw-gee-I've-got-tears-in-my-eyes variation on a classic holiday tale starring refreshingly down-to-earth characters.

This anthology is a winner. No matter what the season (I read it in August), it is sure to make you feel all the best holiday emotions. Highly recommended.
TM
Report this review Was this review helpful? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account