Review Detail

Young Adult Fiction 1863
Three against that which is the Peshtigo School
Overall rating 

Plot 

Characters 

Writing Style 

Elias (Eli, but only to his friend Honoria), Shohei, and Honoria have always been best friends. They all attend the prestigous and quirky Peshtigo School where you're apt to find students up to all kinds of mischief, all in the name of learning.

Eli is the last in a long line of his family to attend the school, so he's always being compared to his brothers. When told he has to participate in the annual Science Fair (so his dad can get out of judging it), he decides to re-do one of his older brother's past experiments. Shohei, a perennial slacker, joins in with him, figuring it'll be an easy out.

When Eli's results don't match his brother's (and the science teacher dismisses Eli's results in favor of said older brother), Eli finds himself battling Mr. Eden. He just can't back down, since he knows he's in the right.

That's kind of the main plot line, but there's a lot more than that going on. Shohei, a Japanese boy adopted by Irish parents who are on a mission to make sure he's properly introduced to his culture -- whether that means re-decorating his room and putting in a Zen garden or packing him sushi for lunch -- is in a battle to find his own identity.

Meanwhile, Eli's got a crush on Honoria and Honoria has a crush on Shohei, which she confides to Eli. That puts him in a tough spot, as you can imagine (and a classic one at that -- it even takes a brief Cyrano de Bergerac tack).

Everything works out in the end, one way or another. Told from all three viewpoints, the reader gets to see all sides of the story and sympathize with each one. You have to cheer for Eli as he stands up for himself, and you can't help but laugh at Honoria and her preoccupation with bugs (which ultimately helps Eli out of his situation, in an un-orthodox bid to get Mr. Eden to work with him).

I recommend this book for ages 10 and up, boys or girls. It's a fun read. I just wish I could have gone to the Peshtigo school...
Report this review Was this review helpful to you? 3 2

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account
Powered by JReviews

Latest Book Listings Added

Secondhand Dogs

0.0 (0)
A heartwarming—and heart-tugging—middle grade novel about love, loyalty, and what...
High School Musical: The Musical: The Series: The Road Trip

0.0 (0)
Join everyone's favorite Wildcats from the Disney+ smash hit original...
I'll Meet You in Your Dreams

0.0 (0)
A heartwarming text honoring the ever-evolving relationship of a parent...
Colors of Habitats

0.0 (0)
The brand-new sequel to a well-reviewed bestseller that has been...
Noble Thief (Fantasy and Fairytales Book 6)

0.0 (0)
A prince of two kingdoms. A woman fighting against the...
10 Truths and a Dare

0.0 (0)
It's Senior Party Week, that magical in-between time after classes...
All These Bodies

0.0 (0)
Sixteen bloodless bodies. Two teenagers. One impossible explanation. ...
The Beautiful Ones

0.0 (0)
They are the Beautiful Ones, Loisail’s most notable socialites, and...
I Am the Shark

0.0 (0)
What makes the great white shark (one of) the greatest...
Made in Korea

0.0 (0)
Frankly in Love meets Shark Tank in this feel-good romantic...
Take Me Home Tonight

0.0 (0)
Ferris Bueller’s Day Off meets Nick and Nora’s Infinite...
The People We Choose

5.0 (1)
When 17-year-old Calliope meets her new neighbor Max, their...
Hurricane Summer

0.0 (0)
In this sweeping debut, Asha Bromfield takes readers to...
Slingshot

0.0 (0)
An exciting debut contemporary young adult novel perfect for...
The Keeper of Night

5.0 (1)
Death is her destiny. Half...
The Girls are Never Gone

0.0 (0)
The Conjuring meets Sadie when seventeen-year-old podcaster Dare takes an...

Latest Member Reviews

I'll Meet You in Your Dreams

"I'LL MEET YOU IN YOUR DREAMS is a gorgeously illustrated picture book about parental love that spans space and time...."
I Don't Want to Go to School

"I DON'T WANT TO GO TO SCHOOL features Dinosaur and Mouse, who are both scared of their first day of..."
The Mother of Monsters

"‘The Mother of Monsters’ by Fran Parnell, illustrated by Sophie Fatus, tells the story of Ntombi, the chief's daughter. She..."
Grim, Grunt and Grizzle-Tail: A Story from Chile

"‘Grim, Grunt and Grizzle-Tail’ by Fran Parnell, illustrated by Sophie Fatus, is great for younger elementary readers and anyone who..."
I Am Not a Penguin

"I AM NOT A PENGUIN is a silly picture book that manages to teach young readers about pangolins. A pangolin..."
Sam Can't Sleep

"SAM CAN'T SLEEP is a fun picture book read that introduces the concept of nocturnal animals. It's nighttime, and all..."
Welcome to California

"WELCOME TO CALIFORNIA is a fun picture book of facts about the state. It covers topics from the state capitol..."
The Thingity-Jig

"THE THINGITY-JIG is a fun picture book read about invention and friendship. Although all his friends are asleep, Bear feels..."
This is Your World

"THIS IS YOUR WORLD is a lovely picture book that introduces the world and the importance of taking care of..."
Mermaid Life: The Joy of Making Waves

"MERMAID LIFE is a fun collection of artwork themed around mermaids. With a few fun facts, silly moments, and inspirational..."
Yawn

"YAWN is a cute book about the contagious nature of yawns. A little boy begins a yawn that carries through..."
The Bear in the Boat

"THE BEAR IN THE BOAT is a sweet story of kindness and helping your neighbors. A storm is arriving, and..."
It's Bath Time! (Indestructibles)

"IT'S BATH TIME! is an adorable installment in the Indestructibles series. The book features baby animals and baby who have..."
I Really, Really Need to Pee!

"I REALLY, REALLY NEED TO PEE! is a silly picture book about a bush baby that is out and about..."
Bloom

"BLOOM is a sweet picture book about the power of kind words. A young girl passes by a beautiful flower..."
You Can Be a Farmer, Too!

"YOU CAN BE A FARMER, TOO! is a fun picture book about overcoming your fears, support, and animals on the..."
Looking for Sleep

"LOOKING FOR SLEEP is a charming and sweet picture book, featuring a wolf who is searching for sleep. Wolf is..."
The Pepperstorm

"THE PEPPERSTORM is a picture book about revenge, telling the fictional story of why elephants are afraid of mice. Elephants..."
The Story of Baldomera

"THE STORY OF BALDOMERA is a picture book written from the perspective of Baldomera, a donkey who cares about a..."
Anita and the Dragons

"Beautifully illustrated, ANITA AND THE DRAGONS takes the reader on an imaginative journey about immigration and making a new start..."