Review Detail

5.0 1
A Book of Knowledge...in a Magazine!
Overall rating

Writing Style

Illustrations/Photos (if applicable)

Learning Value

Reader reviewed by Rita Lorraine Hubbard, The Original H.I.R. (Historical Investigative Reporter)

Time For Kids: President Barack Obama, A Day in the Life of America's Leader, is like a Book of Knowledge all rolled up in a magazine cover. It is an educational, photographic and historical acccomplishment, and is sure to find favor across many arenas.

To begin with, the book's cover is a keepsake in itself. It offers a glossy portrayal of a handsome, confident and smiling President Obama, flanked by our country's proud stars and stripes, and stamped with the presidential seal of approval. It is a busy book--perhaps as busy as the president himself, and it doesn't lose momentum until the reader turns the very last page.

Obama opens with a quaint family photo of the Obamas walking the first dog, Bo Obama. This photo is followed quickly by that quite familiar and definitely unforgettable photograph of a newly-elected Obama holding wife Michelle's green-gloved hand as they take the grande presidential walk before their American public. After this, the book fans out into a delightful barage of pictures, diagrams, floor plans, and contemporary and historical photographs.

There is a photographic spread of all the past presidents, with Obama's newly-inserted photo at the very end; there is a diagram of the White House floor plan; there are photos of Obama in his office, and attending meals in foreign countries. There are also photos of press conferences, treaty meetings, and everything in between!

Obama is a treasure trove of information. It grabs both children and adults by the hand and leads threm through a typical day in the life of the American president, explaining what it's like when he wakes up, what he does during the day, and even what he does at night. It dissects the very essence of "being president," then balances this with information about the "first wife and kids" for good measure. It offers historical photographs and information about other first wives and children from years past, too, so children can examine all similarities and differences. Children will love seeing photos of young Tad Lincoln, son of Abraham Lincoln, and toddlers John Jr. and Caroline Kennedy, children of John F. Kennedy.

I love this book! I love that it demystifies the office of the presidency, leaving no stone unturned when telling about our new president's life. I love that this wonderful information is housed under one attractive and cleverly-designed cover for a convenient and thorough learning experience. I love that such important information is presented in small, manageable chunks and reinformced by bright, interesting (and glossy!!) photographs, making the text and layout as delicious for the young reader as for the elder.

I love that this book is so meticulously done, it is rendered a great conversation piece for both parents and children, and for teachers and librarians. And I love that it presents Obama as not just a far-away, unreachable world leader, but as a very approachable man--a father and husband; a man who likes basketball and long walks with his family and his rowdy puppy.

Grab this keepsake while there are still a few on the shelves! It is destined to become (if it hasn't ready!) a wonderful collector's item that commemorates this historic man and his historic election, in this unforgettable time in history
Report this review Was this review helpful? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account