Review Detail

5.0 1
MATTHEWS JOURNEY
Overall rating

Plot/Characters/Writing Style

Illustrations/Photos (if applicable)

Reader reviewed by Rita Lorraine Hubbard, Historical Investigative Reporter

This may be a book about a frozen adventure in the coldest corner of the planet earth, but Keep On! The Story of Matthew Henson, Co-Discoverer of the North Pole, is the most heart-warming story I've read in a long time.

Written by Deborah Hopkinson and illustrated by Stephen Alcorn, Keep On! tracks the life, bravado and sense of adventure of African American explorer Matthew Henson, who was born in a humble cabin a year after the Civil War ended.

The book satisfies the history-lover's curiosity with the truth about explorer Robert E. Peary's Arctic adventure, and how if it hadn't been for Matthew Henson's skill, bravery and loyalty to Peary, the expedition might never have been a success.

Hopkinson stimulates the reader's imagination with her unique writing style; she reveals actual statements made in Henson's own words, then follows his diary-like account up with lively narrative writing, making for a very interesting read.  In short, I really enjoyed this book--so much so that I'm thinking of keeping this one for myself, instead of passing it on as I usually do.

Don't miss out.  This is a history lesson, an African American biography, and an old-fashioned good read, all rolled into one!

Report this review Was this review helpful? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account