Plot

N/A
Characters

N/A
Writing Style

N/A
Illustrations/Photos (if applicable)

N/A
Oh, Code Name Verity, what to say about you?

The thing is, it's a good book. I liked the writing and storytelling, but I was bored nonetheless for 3/4 of the book. The fault is my own when it comes to that, though. See, historical fiction has never been my thing. Of course, I've had a few I really enjoyed here and there which, combined with the high praises, lead me to investigate Code Name Verity.

I'm sad Verity wasn't the knock-out I'd been hoping for, but I did still enjoy it, especially the end. Right off the bat, I enjoyed the writing. Our narrator was so normal. When I read historical fiction I always expect formal language and whatnot, but it wasn't like that in the least. Then again, it was set only 70 years ago. Verity (I think that's the least telling of her names, so that's what we'll go with) was so real. She was sarcastic and witty and brave, but so vulnerable as well. And you know what, I don't blame her in the least. Not everyone can stoically endure the various forms of torture Verity underwent. I loved her for her rash defiance and consequent regret for it.

Though the story was slow-going for me because of its historical roots, I also really enjoyed learning all the new things I did. The funny thing is how I don't usually enjoy historical fiction as a form of entertainment, but I really enjoy learning about history. It's even better knowing how much research Wein put into Verity. I love the bit about the ballpoint pen. Who would've known it was originally invented for use in the Royal Air Force?

Oh man, that twist. At the end? Yeah, I didn't see that coming. How could I? It was set up so perfectly, and for that I applaud Miss Wein.

I loved the total difference between the first and second parts. I don't want to give too much away, but I really appreciated the difference in voice. The second was more clipped and formal while the first was lavish and very story-focused.

Guys, I cried. I mean, I thought I was going to cry, but the reason surprised me in the end all the same. And since I was reading at work it really wasn't pretty. I was drying my eyes every five seconds so I wouldn't look like a complete mess when customers came in, but I'm not one to deny myself a good cry, so I let it flow anyway.

The Nutshell: Code Name Verity wasn't everything I'd hoped it would be, but I know this is largely due to the high expectations I had going in. I did enjoy the writing and storytelling as well as Verity's voice overall. I'm glad to have read it, but in the end I wouldn't say it was a life-changer.

Near Miss
Report this review Was this review helpful? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account