Plot

N/A
Characters

N/A
Writing Style

N/A
Illustrations/Photos (if applicable)

N/A
WOW! I guess Cassandra was saving the best for last. This book definitely took me on an emotional roller coaster. I have had to stop a couple of times while writing this review to compose myself. The ending was bitter sweet for me, but I felt that in the light of things it was for the best. Although I was not as impressed with the last two books, this one sold the series for me. I was swept right into this book from the beginning. It was such an action packed, emotionally gripping, mind blowing ending to this series. I must say I have to hands down agree with what people have been saying about this last book. It was, quite frankly, an amazingly heart wrenching story.

***This review contains spoilers***

I was put off from the beginning by the love triangle going on with Will, Jem, and Tessa. I felt that it so closely resembled the one from TMI. It seemed a bit repetitive. Then I realized what made it so different; Jem and Will were as close as two people could possibly be. They were technically one and the same. Two souls connected to become one. As difficult as it may seem, Tessa loved two completely different people who were entirely the same, but for two completely different reasons. I myself was in favor of her ending up with Will. He is a person I could see myself falling for. I was extremely happy when they ended up together, yet at the same time I was upset that in order for them to be together someone had to end up hurt. Although Jem made his choice, I am sure it was still hard to bear the loss of one’s loved one. I still tear up just thinking of how this series ended!

Throughout this book, I have been a huge fan of Henry. He is just the comical humor this book needed. When I thought he was killed in battle, I had to take a moment to compose myself before I could continue reading. Then to be further upset with the hand that fate dealt him! I was shocked, upset, bewildered, and mortified that Henry was left in such a condescending state. He was a Shadowhunter for goodness sake! Afterwards, I felt relief that he was alive. I am not sure how Charlotte would have carried on if she had lost him just when they had found out each others feelings. Not to mention the fact that she is about to have their baby! Their relationship also added a lot to this series. It was quite refreshing to see two complete opposites fall for one another.

There was a lot of loss and heart ache in this book! I was extremely overcome while reading this final installment. Although Mortmain is considered the “bad guy”, I can sympathize with his anger. I mean imagine someone killing off your family and finding no justice. Then to top it off, this “killer” is parading their remains in a showcased room. Although his anger has escalated beyond that of a sensible person, he sees his motives as a justification for his families deaths. I by no means agree with his execution of his revenge on the Nephilim, but I can understand where his vengefulness sparked from.

I thought the floor was going to open up and swallow me whole when I read the first implication that Jem had died. I was so upset! Although I was not a fan of Tessa and him, I still really enjoyed him as a character. I was astonished when I realized what had really transpired. I could not believe what I was reading! Jem was always so wise and understanding. He was the shoulder you could lean on and the strength you needed in times of need and despair. I never imagined he would choose the path in the end that he did. ***AHHH you will just have to read the story to find out what happens***

With so much going on in the story, I found myself falling more and more in love with Gideon Lightwood. He was such a strong character to me that really stood out. I respected his strong morals and loyalty. I was also quite delighted to find out he was enamored by Sophie. She was also one of my favorite characters. I was anxious to see them both have a happy ending. After having to deal with the loss and betrayal of his father, Gideon really needed the determination and strength Sophie could offer him. I was so relieved when Charlotte propositioned Sophie about becoming a Shadowhunter! I had to put the book down and merrily clap my hands like a giddy child. But theirs was not the only relationship that blossomed in this book! Cecily and Gabriel also found an adorable budding attraction to one another.

The ending of this book was a heart wrenching roller coaster for me. It was so bitter sweet reading about Tessa and Will’s life together, and then how she had to watch him die. I could never imagine living past the lives of the ones I loved over and over. It is stressful just imagining it. I loved how Cassandra incorporated the places they visited and the things they shared with one another during their life together. The final song performed for Will was also what sent me into a bout of tears. I could only imagine what Tessa had to of gone through when she made her final choice to leave. Yet, it was the very end of the book that left me feeling disappointment and relief. Tessa finally gets her second chance at love. It was just so tragically romantic. I am not sure it would have been so devastating wonderful if it had ended any other way.
Report this review Was this review helpful? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account