Plot

N/A
Characters

N/A
Writing Style

N/A
Illustrations/Photos (if applicable)

N/A
I love fairy tales. There is something about magic, love, witches, and the supernatural that just captivates me. Cloaked, however, fell a little short. The story was a little flat for me. I am really saddened because so far I have loved retellings of past fairy tales. I am not sure if it was because there were too many stories thrown into one or if it was just the cheesy characters, but it was not my favorite.

Johnny was the poor kid who has to work for all his family have. His father up and disappeared when he was young leaving him and his mom to despair. Of course, I could not help but feel horrible for him. I just felt that his story went from being fairy tale to cheesy. He meets a princess who promises to fulfill his every desire. He then embarks on this wild goose chase to make everything that’s gone wrong right. This is where things get weird for me. Johnny has so much going on it’s hard to keep up.

OKAY….. rant on what drove me CRAZY! The accents in this book! AHHHHHH, it made me shake the book a couple of times. My poor husband is probably traumatized. I shouted in frustration more than once. It was just EXTREMELY ANNOYING!!

The characters, well, there was hardly development. To me, it was a rush of stories in order to fit everyone in. I would have really liked to get to know Meg more. She seemed like a legit person. It was just weird when her predictable “secret” came out of nowhere. And of course, the Prince and Princess were just obnoxious, spoiled characters with not much else to be remembered by.

I hate to rag a story. I am sure there are people out there who will love this book. I just felt there could have been a better execution of this concept. The story was just everywhere. Although there was a happily ever after, the ending had a cliche feeling. How did everyone else feel about this book?
Good Points
Fairy Tale retelling/ Happy ending
Report this review Was this review helpful? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account