N/A
Characters

N/A
Writing Style

N/A
Illustrations/Photos (if applicable)

N/A
I'm starting my summer reading early.

I want to be able to recommend some nonfiction titles from our school's list and the only one I have read is the fantastic CHEW ON THIS. When I found CHASING LINCOLN'S KILLER in our staff room, I figured I would give it a try.

Author James Swanson has been obsessed with Lincoln since childhood. His diligence and attention to detail paid off in a highly detailed and engaging book. Swanson has a gift for taking historical documents and recreating a story which appeals to young readers. The events unfold over twelve days and Swanson keeps up a fast pace. It helps that he is able to include some gruesome descriptions that middle school students love. I found myself cringing when I read, "The doctors probed Lincoln's bullet wound with their bare, dirty fingers, sticking their pinkies inside Lincoln's brain." This is the kind of history that fascinates my sixth graders.

While everyone is familiar with Lincoln's assassination by John Wilkes Booth, there is so much more to learn. CHASING LINCOLN'S KILLER is the perfect blend of information and narrative retelling; I will be handing it to many students for the summer.
Good Points
An engaging and suspenseful nonfiction book
I learned a lot about all the players in Lincoln's death.
The photographs add to the story.
Report this review Was this review helpful? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account