Review Detail

African Folktale
Overall rating

Plot

Characters

Writing Style

Illustrations/Photos (if applicable)

After the Civil War, former slaves are still living a hard life and struggling to get back on their feet. Including a small town in Georgia. At least they are until Rootilla Redgums and her grandson, Julius Jefferson, move in. Rootilla has a lot of knowledge to share with the townsfolk that make living a bit simpler. She also has a way with things, almost as if she possesses magic. Her grandson Julius befriends a duck named Woody and stops anyone from hurting him. In the end, Woody is the champion of the story as he tugs the town away from hateful, prying eyes.

CARRIMEBAC, THE TOWN THAT WALKED is a stunning and original African American folktale set in post Civil War era in a town in Georgia. The illustrations are beautifully detailed and depicts the emotions of the people extremely well. It touches on sensitive topics like racism and how not everyone reacts to change positively. It also portrays the ignorance of people who can't accept someone for being different. Julius is so sweet and I love how brave Rootilla is. They both aren't afraid to stand up for what's right.

Final Verdict: I would recommend CARRIMEBAC, THE TOWN THAT WALKED to fans of myths, history, and African American culture. The author brings magic to life on the pages of this book and I love the tale that's weaved.
Report this review Was this review helpful? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account