Review Detail

A Fin-tastic Travel Book
Overall rating

Writing Style

Illustrations/Photos (if applicable)

Learning Value

Sharks are a perennially popular topic with young readers, who will be thrilled to see so much information packed into National Geographic's trademark illustrated book! Like this publisher's Just Joking Science, The Ultimate Book of African Animals, and Weird But True books, Shark Stuff is stuffed to the gills with information. (Sharks can have up to seven gills, by the way, but usually have five!)

There's lots of good basic information, like descriptions of different types of sharks, discussions about how they are like humans, and a fascinating look at powers sharks have, like being able to survive for more than a day out of water. This information is interspersed with pages containing jokes, activities, and quizzes. All are accompanied by either fantastic photographs or humorous cartoon type illustrations, and the page layouts utilize color, different font sizes, and handy reference boxes.
Good Points
While most of the activities are best done at home (although I won't be soaking gummy bears in salt water any time soon-- I'd rather eat them!), this is a great book for road trips, as long as the designated reader isn't prone to car sickness. It's easy to dip into the book anywhere and read the two page spread, and the jokes and quizzes begged to be shared with fellow passengers.

It's amazing the amount of information young readers can get out of books like Shark Stuff, and how much they can retain. I liked the fact that all of the information was very shark positive, so this is a great book to give children who are heading to a beach for a bit and have some lingering fears about these great creatures. Who know? They might find some shark teeth on the beach and will be able to identify them with the handy Tooth Tracker, and the index at the back will help them locate the page.
Report this review Was this review helpful? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account