My Burned Review
Overall rating

Writing Style

N/A
Illustrations/Photos (if applicable)

N/A
Learning Value

N/A
Ellen Hopkins has done it again! The stories that she brings to life are amazing! These are stories that we as readers can really relate to. I always find myself so engrossed in her books that I feel like I have lost a friend once they have ended. I felt that the only reason this book deserved a 4 star instead of a 5 was because of the way the book ended. I was shocked and uncertain of how to feel with this ending. I felt that Ellen gave her readers the power to imagine their own ending for this incredible book, but I felt that I understood the characters pain too much to envision a better outcome.

Pattyn is a teenage girl suffering teenage problems plus some. Her family is Mormon and her father is an alcoholic and abusive. Pattyn does not agree with her families way of life. She wants a better life for herself, but it seems that everyone has turned their backs to her suffering. It is hard to complain and speak to people who turn their heads and see no problem with what is happening at home. Pattyn begins to rebel and act out for the attention she so anxiously craves. The outcome to these rebellious acts leads to one of the best experiences in her life.

Pattyn is sent to live with her Aunt Jeanette (Aunt J) for the summer. Her Aunt J is like no one she has ever meet before. I loved her aunts character! She is strong, open minded, laid back, and understanding. Pattyn has never met anyone like her before! Although Aunt J seems so at peace, even the happiest person has some demons in their closet. Pattyn grows closer and closer to her aunt as the summer progresses. Pattyn finds herself growing as a person and experiencing things she never thought she would. The best experience she has is meeting and falling in love with Ethan.

Ethan is the kind of guy every teenage girl dreams about. He is handsome, has morals, is a good country boy, and stands by Pattyn through her hard times. He introduces her to love and a world were Pattyn realizes just how special she is. Their love was romantic and a once in a life time love. When it was time to say goodbye at the end of the summer, they were forced to go their separate ways with more holding them together than the love they shared.

Pattyn’s return home from her summer of wonder leads to pain and abuse. Her father has become more out of hand, and her fear of no help in sight keeps her complacent. When Pattyn discovers she has more than just herself to protect, she turns to Ethan for help. This is when everything spirals out of control.

OMG make sure you have your tissues at hand when you are nearing this ending. The story grips you and drags you through the emotional roller coaster until the end. I could not detach myself from the sadness I felt at the end of this book. Ellen sure knows how to write a compelling story! I fell deep for Ethan. He was such a great guy! I also felt for Pattyn and her struggles in life. I could not imagine being in her shoes. Her conflicts were really touching. I would highly recommend Ellen’s books to readers. She is an outstanding author and her stories…. they are memorizing!
Good Points
Realistic topics/ great story
Report this review Was this review helpful? 1 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account

Latest Additions