Young Adult Fiction 928
Hooked Rather Quickly
Overall rating

Plot

Characters

Writing Style

Illustrations/Photos (if applicable)

N/A
Bone Weaver was my first novel by this author, and honestly I solely picked this up because of the title.
I was not disappointed. I was hooked quickly.

The world building is complex and vivid - reminiscent of Imperial Russia.
The historical fantasy aspect really drew me in. The author uses folklore from the area. The inclusion of different types of monsters (similar to zombies, sirens, and others) was a great paranormal/fantasy addition. The fact that they were included in almost ever scene was even better. The are very well developed and added extra dynamics to the story.

The plot felt completely new to me, whether it be a new type of mythology or setting. I enjoyed that each character had their own motivations for traversing this war torn country.
That being said.. it was somewhat difficult for me to connect with the characters, or like them. Toma was a decent character, having survived in some of the toughest conditions - but her emotions and dialogue fell flat. Same with Tsar Mikhail - he was cold and distant, not too much of a personality other than that until the end. He was decidedly my least favorite character. Vanya though, he was my favorite. He had a fun, but troubled, personality. He was charming and I am completely invested in his fate.
There is a tiny bit of romance near the end of the novel, it will be interesting to see if it goes anywhere in a future novel, and how.

I was here for the action. The fact that the author actually SHOWED me these scenes instead of told me about them, was amazing. In far too many fantasy novels, I'm told about battles and wars - never really able to fully be shown. However, I would have liked to have more details on why the war was started. And how the undead came about, for that matter.

Themes found throughout the book include: Found Family, survival, self-identity, and the makings of a monster. Bone Weaver has LGBTQ+ representation.

The author included a glossary in the back of the book, which is super helpful while reading. There was no map though, which is a bit disappointing - as I love maps, especially for Fantastical worlds.

Bone Weaver is a well written novel, with top notch quotes that will hook you - and fast! I look forward to reading more by Aden Polydoros.
Report this review Was this review helpful? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account