Plot

N/A
Characters

N/A
Writing Style

N/A
Illustrations/Photos (if applicable)

N/A
It's 1946 and Eva and her friend Brigit leave behind destroyed Berlin for New York City. Eva carries a deadly secret. One that others want. She thought she left behind the horrors of what happened at the end of WWII, but they follow her as she is determined to bring justice to someone close to her. Along the way, she discovers haunting truths that might break her.

What worked: I totally love Cameron's WWII novels and this one is just as exciting and thrilling. I totally was mesmerized and couldn't put this book down! Powerful writing alternates between the end of the war and 1946 when Eva and her friend Brigit arrive in New York City. Eva can't make sense of the flashes of memory she has on her father who was a doctor in a Nazi concentration camp. I was riveted from the very first page.

Little by little readers start to piece together the puzzle of what Bluebird really means and what this all has to do with Eva. There are twists and turns and total surprise reveals that caught me off guard!

There are also hints of a romance and the struggle Eva has with trusting anyone. There's a huge reason for the distrust as all her moves are watched by shadowy figures.

A heart-pounding historical thriller that sets a girl on a trail to bring justice to concentration camp victims right after the war. There are betrayals, deadly secrets, and a horrific reveal toward the end. After reading I wanted to know more about what happened with Nazi doctors after the war. Cameron has in her author's notes facts on things like the concentration camp, the fate of a couple of the Nazi doctors, a deadly experiment that is the stuff of Sci-Fi novels, and also organizations that helped refugees after the war.

I totally recommend this book. It's perfect as a book of the month pick. Also, I think it would be a great addition to any high school reading list on discussions of WWII and Nazi experiments.
Good Points
1. Powerful, haunting tale of betrayal and the desire to exact justice
2. Aftermath of WWII
Report this review Was this review helpful? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account