Young Adult Fiction 904
intriguing YA fantasy
Overall rating

Plot

Characters

Writing Style

Illustrations/Photos (if applicable)

N/A
BLOOD DEBTS is an intriguing YA fantasy. Told from the perspectives of Clement (Clem) and Cristina (Cris) as well as their nemesis Valentina, the story follows their journey into discovering their family's past and those who have it out for them. Since Clem and Cris lost their father unexpectedly, their lives have been turned upside down. Their mother is very ill, and they might be losing her too - at least, until they find a doll in her mattress that means someone has been behind it. As they investigate, they must delve into their family's history and secrets to put all the pieces together.

What I loved: This was an engaging look at family secrets and mysteries and the ways these can carry through generations, as well as the way family feuds manifest as though inherited. Family is a major theme in the story, as all three of the main characters are heavily driven by love and a desire to prove themselves - an element that will resonate with teens. While this world is different than our own with magic being something people are aware of, the links of magic types with race give this interesting parallels with the way society reacts to it and treats it. Other themes around finding yourself, grief/loss and guilt, justice and what this means, betrayal, falling in love, consent, and the weight and morality of power were also really thought-provoking.

The story takes a lot of twists and turns I did not see coming, with some shocking reveals that were quite unexpected. The story delves deeper into the past and its mysteries as well as those shaping the present than it initially seemed. The mystery of their mother's illness is just the surface glacier of what is really happening.

Cris is an intriguing character who has been suffering under the weight of her guilt for the events surrounding her father's death. A sudden loss of a loved one can feel quite traumatic, and since then, she has stayed away from the magic she used to love. She now feels the weight of this power and its potential consequences, questioning the morality of the spells they use. Her twin, Clem, is finding his own way and being true to himself throughout. He cares deeply for his family and sister and wants to keep them all safe. Valentina, the nemesis, provides a glimpse into the other side, with her goals of power and revenge driving her perspectives.

What left me wanting more: I would love to have understood more about the magic they hold in terms of how they learn and about the heritage of their abilities. For instance, Cris seems more powerful than Clem, but it is unclear why. We also know it is passed down through families, and they have spell books and they seem to tie to their ancestors, but it is not clear how spells are discovered and added to over time or what the constraints on what they can do are. It was fascinating, and I wanted to know more!

Final verdict: BLOOD DEBTS is an intriguing YA fantasy with thought-provoking themes and compelling characters. Recommend for fans of BLOOD LIKE MAGIC and DELICIOUS MONSTERS.
Report this review Was this review helpful? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account