Blog Tour: You're Snug With Me by Chitra Soundar, Illustrated by Poonam Mistry, Plus Guest Post & Giveaway!
Today we're excited to spotlight You're Snug With Me by Chitra Soundar and illustrated by Poonam Mistry. Read on for more about Chitra and Poonam and their book, plus a guest post & giveaway!
Meet Chitra Soundar!
Chitra Soundar is an Indian-born British writer and storyteller. She is inspired by the rich epics and folktales of India, its diverse culture and its natural beauty. She has over 30 books in print worldwide and has been published by Otter-Barry Books, Walker Books and Red Robin Books.
Poonam Mistry is a UK-based illustrator of Indian heritage. Her work is heavily influenced by nature, folklore and traditional Indian art. With a degree in Graphic Design and Illustration, she produces artwork for clients around the world.
At the start of winter, two bear cubs are born, deep in their den in the frozen north.
"Mama, what lies beyond here?" they ask. "Above us is a land of ice and snow." "What lies beyond the ice and snow?" they ask. "The ocean, full of ice from long ago."
And as they learn the secrets of the earth and their place in it, Mama Bear whispers, “You’re snug with me.”
When writing You’re Snug with Me, I found out a lot of things about polar bears. Although I used many sources, I must thank Dr Thea Bechshoft who answered many of my questions patiently.
So from all the materials I collected and researched and in particular from Dr Bechshoft’s FB page, here are some special polar bear facts.
Did you know that...
1. Polar Bears get over-heated when sunbathing. They cool off by going for an icy swim, eating snow or playing in the snow. How do you cool off during hot summers?
2. A trillion pieces of plastic wash up around the arctic, some even are trapped in the ice. Sometimes polar bears eat this plastic when scavenging for food and plastic is not good for them just like it’s not good for you and me. The only way to prevent it – not to throw plastic and to recycle it as far as possible. Can you name three things you can recycle?
3. Polar bear cubs just like the ones in this story weigh only around 800 grams when they are born? That’s just about the weight of 3-4 baseballs. When they emerge from the snow den in the spring, they weigh almost twenty times more – about 10-12 kilograms – about the weight of two cats. How much did you weigh when you were a baby?
4. Polar bears do doggy paddle swims. They paddle using their front legs and their hind legs trail behind them. They can even dive up to 3 minutes so they can hunt for seals under the sea. What other mammals dive in the sea?
Here is a video from WWF UK -
5. Dry polar bears, in the winter, hardly smell of anything. If at all they do, they perhaps smell like the salty sea air. But if they do spend their summer in town where humans live, their fur turns green with algae and they do smell like rotting algae. What do you smell like in the morning and after school?
You're Snug With Me
Written by: Chitra Soundar
Illustrated by: Poonam Mistry
Release Date: October 1, 2018
This looks and sounds beautiful! I try to get the Lantana books for my library and I've always been really impressed with them!
The cover is beautiful and reminds me of Northwest Native American art and Inuit art of Alaska. The synopsis sounds excellent.