Review Detail

What would’ve been a different kind of “bad boy” story, turned into just another typical one
Overall rating

Plot

N/A
Characters

N/A
Writing Style

N/A
Illustrations/Photos (if applicable)

N/A
Oh, how I wish I had enjoyed this as much as everyone else. Since I really like Crownover’s Marked Men series, I thought I’d give this book a try, too. Unfortunately, while it has its merits, it definitely didn’t win me over or anything. I was pretty bored for the first half of the book as the main characters were searching someone important. It was a lot of running around and not much of these two really getting to know each other on a meaningful level, just a physical level. Even when things started picking up between the two, I couldn’t really connect with either of them. I’ll admit, the story was interesting enough towards the end, but it still didn’t do anything for me.

Bax is supposed to be a really, really bad guy. Like, he’s trouble with a capital T. While he is a bit closed off and rough around the edges, I couldn’t really see his true “bad boy” self. The way he behaved fit his character, having had a crappy childhood and then having been in prison for a few years, but there wasn’t much that I could pinpoint that would set him apart from any of the other “bad boys”. And once he met Dovie, the quintessential “one”, he started to change in ways you’d expect from any of the “bad boys” you’d read about in contemporary novels like this. I definitely sympathized with him regarding his past and felt for the guy, but I didn’t really care for him either way.

As for Dovie, nothing about her stood out for me. Sure she was independent and was trying to make something for herself after a crappy childhood, too, but her personality wasn’t anything special and again, I found myself not caring for her either way.

Anyone who knows my reading style, knows that if I can’t connect with the characters, then the book will fall flat for me. That’s pretty much what happened here. I guess I’ve just read so many books along the lines of this story, many of which were better, so that’s why I was disconnected from this book as a whole. While the latter half flowed nicely and I liked all the action and drama, it didn’t save the book for me overall. I’m sure many of you will enjoy this book though, as I saw that many others have, but for me, this was a miss.
Report this review Was this review helpful? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account