Beneath The Wide Silk Sky
(Updated: August 31, 2022)
Overall rating

Plot

Characters

Writing Style

Illustrations/Photos (if applicable)

N/A
What worked: Wow, just wow. Powerful, poignant portrayal of a Japanese teen right before the internment camps. Huey nails Sam's emotions with the backlash from her small Washington state community when Pearl Harbor is hit. Those who she thought were friends show their true character. But there are also small acts of kindness and courage from others.

Sam's desire to be a photographer is encouraged by Hiro, a neighbor. Their friendship grows while most in their town turn against the 'enemy'. In this case, anyone who is Japanese American.

Powerful and very moving. I was totally engrossed with Sam's story. The scenes of racism in her high school and also among leaders of her community are authentic and painful. Stories like these need to be shared. It reminds me of another equally powerful story by George Takei of his family and his time in Internment camps. Both show the division and fear that come from racism.

Captivating, powerful tale of a Japanese American family right after Pearl Harbor that shows the racism faced by those deemed the 'enemy'. Perfect for those who love Ruta Sepetys novels.
Good Points
1. Moving, poignant portrayal of a Japanese teen right before the internment camps
Report this review Was this review helpful? 1 0

Comments

1 results - showing 1 - 1
Ordering
Already have an account? or Create an account
September 07, 2022
A GREAT SPELL CASTER THAT HELPED ME BRING BACK MY EX LOVER

What a wonderful and straightforward spell caster that has brought back joy and happiness into my life!!! I'm giving this testimony because I am so happy, I want to thank Dr. Lucas for the great work He has done in my life, He brought happiness back to my life, I never believed in spell casters until my life fell apart when my lover of 6 years decided to call it quits almost when we wanted to get married. I had such an emotional breakdown to the extent I could not do anything reasonable again, after 3months in pain before an old friend of mine introduced me to a spell caster online called Dr. Lucas, this was after I had been scammed by various fake spell casters. I was introduced to Dr. Lucas, a true Spell Caster. In less than 38 hours I saw wonders, my lover came back to me and my life got back just like a completed puzzle, and after 1month later we got married and it was just like a dream to me because I thought I had lost him forever. Thank you Dr. Lucas for helping me but most of all, Your Honesty and Fast Accurate Results. EMAIL HIM FOR HELP: [email protected] Or contact him through his Website: https://miraculouscentre.wixsite.com/my-site-1 You can also message Him through his private What's App Number +15302120104. His Facebook Page https://web.facebook.com/miraculouscentre My Personal Blog: https://kobemyla.blogspot.com/
K
kobemyla05
1 results - showing 1 - 1