Plot

N/A
Characters

N/A
Writing Style

N/A
Illustrations/Photos (if applicable)

N/A
How many times can you die? Apparently several but after the first time, it really doesnt count. (Or does it?) So Sam (Samantha) Kingston finds out in Before I Fall, Lauren Olivers debut novel. Sam and her friends Elody, Ally and Lindsay were driving home from a Friday night, Cupids Day (Valentines Day) party, admittedly drunk, when they see a flash of white on the dark road ahead. Lindsay swerves, loses control, and drives into a ditch, killing Sam who was riding shotgun.

The next morning Sam wakes up. Remembering the events of the night before, shes not sure if it was a dream, but as the events of the previous day replay themselves beginning with her younger sister, Izzy, waking her up for school, Lindsay picking up having her coffee and bagel ready, the conversation about Sams imminent loss of her virginity to Rob after the party, Sam realizes she is reliving Friday. The problem is what does it mean and what should she do?

Sam relives Friday six times, each time realizing something new about herself, her friends, her family. Sam and her friends were in in crowd, but it wasnt always so for Sam. As you know, members of the in-crowd can be bitchy, sarcastic, and downright mean. When she and her friends start singing Psycho Killer as Juliet Sykes (obviously not in the in-crowd) walks into the lunchroom or when Rob puts his arms around her and slobbers on her, trying to kiss her, Sam begins to re-evaluate everything around her. Do her feelings change about her friends or about Kent McFuller, who is always unkempt, who always draws a cartoon for a Valentines Day card to accompany the roses that are distributed during class, who always had a crush on her?

There are certain flaws in Before I Fall, two of them concerning actions of teachers; actions that, while possible, are improbable. Some other events didnt ring true, but in general, Oliver has written a book that should make you think about the things around you, friends, family, how your actions impact the actions of others. I enjoyed seeing Sam change her views in many instances, while solidifying her views in others. Before I Fall is worth reading for so many reasons. Its well written, interesting, and unique. I think youll fall for it.
Report this review Was this review helpful? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account