Plot

N/A
Characters

N/A
Writing Style

N/A
Illustrations/Photos (if applicable)

N/A
Nine-year-old Astrid is the only child in her Norwegian village, and she's called the little thunderbolt by the adults living in Glimmerdal. The nickname is appropriate; Astrid is a dynamo and she barrels through life with exuberance and heart.

Astrid's best friend is Gunnvald--a 70-something neighbor who is a bit of a curmudgeon, though there's no doubt that he loves Astrid and fully embraces his role as her closest friend.

ASTRID THE UNSTOPPABLE is an incredibly endearing novel thanks in large part to the amazing cast of characters. Astrid and Gunnvald are joined by the other residents of Glimmerdal in this exploration of family, friendships, and secrets. and although Astrid's many adventures are helpful in keeping the attention of readers who crave a lot of action, the focus of the story is relationships--particularly the parent/child relationship.

"Wholesome" is the word that comes to mind when I reflect on this book. Although there are some challenging issues--death and desertion in particular--they're handled with a deft touch. ASTRID THE UNSTOPPABLE would be a terrific book to read aloud, and it offers plenty of opportunities for discussion about those difficult themes. Ultimately, Astrid and the other inhabitants of Glimmerdal are characters who deserve more than one book, and I hope there will be many more adventures ahead for them. Or perhaps a movie? I'll keep my fingers crossed.

My thanks to the publisher and YA Books Central for a copy of the book in exchange for my unbiased review.
Good Points
A terrific cast of characters
Plenty of action
Report this review Was this review helpful? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account