Plot

N/A
Characters

N/A
Writing Style

N/A
Illustrations/Photos (if applicable)

N/A
Article 5 by Kristen Simmons kind of snuck up on me with how freaking good it is. I wasn’t sure I was going to get around to Article 5 for a while, but then I offered to trade it to someone, so I kind of had to pick it up.

And oh my god I am SO GLAD that I did. I originally picked Article 5 up planning to read 10 pages or so before getting started on my homework…and I literally ended up reading 200 pages before I had to pick someone up, and then I immediately picked Article 5 back up again and finished it.

Yeah, talk about an engrossing story. I mean, Article 5 is INTENSE. It’s way more violent than I expected it to be and I was so nervous for the characters half the time – I felt like I was watching an action movie!

Okay, and the characters! Ember! I loved her. She is LOYAL. She loves her mother. She wants to save her mother. I admire her dedication and her strength and even though she does some dumb things, she pushes onwards. And Chase. I have such a thing for the name Chase and I had such a thing for this Chase because even though he was self-sacrificing to the point it made me want to shove him out of a car, I still wanted him to protect me (or Ember, whatever) from all the bad guys in the world.

Okay, back to the story – the moral statues were SO MESSED UP. I can’t even begin to imagine living in the world Ember and Chase lived in, and after reading Article 5, I don’t even want to try!

There are a lot of really excellent dystopian novels with literary goodness and emotional what not. But I thought Article 5 was original in its badass-ness. The characters were real, they were loyal and interesting, the story was engrossing and intense and if I had been watching Article 5 as a movie, I would have had to cover my eyes a few times. It doesn’t have the overly descriptive writing of some dystopians, but the writing inspires imagery just as well.

Seriously, if you guys like awesome protagonists and stories that suck you in (and don’t mind a couple of gun fights), you really ought to go pick up Article 5 by Kristen Simmons. It’s a fabulous debut and I can’t wait for the next book.

Review originally posted on my blog http://hobbitsies.net/2012/02/article-5-by-kristen-simmons/
Report this review Was this review helpful? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account