N/A
Characters

N/A
Writing Style

N/A
Illustrations/Photos (if applicable)

N/A
Reader reviewed by Maggie

Let's see, where to begin...well, I'll start with Artemis Jr., the mastermind himself. He has already managed to track down a fairy across the globe, invent a hide to help him capture said fairy, and hold it for ransom. The REALLY strange thing? He's only 12 years old.

No, seriously. A 12-year-old criminal mastermind. Who knew?! Actully, his motives behind this crime are far less sinister (although I don't think there are actually any laws protecting fairy people). He wants the fairy gold to fund his search for his father, who went missing a couple of years ago. I like that the author shows Artemis's softer side, shows he's not all bad. That really, inside that huge brain, there's really just a 12-year-old kid who misses his dad.

The fairies in this book are most likely waaaay different from the other fairy stories you've read. In Artemis Fowl, fairies (also known as elves, the fae, leprechauns -- but we'll get to that later) are basically just like super high-tech people -- except for the fact that they're 3 feet tall with pointy ears. They live underground in cities full of such fantasy creatures as centaurs, pixies, trolls, and swear toads (a prank lab experiment gone very, very wrong). What we think of as leprechauns are actually fairies in the old LEPrecon uniforms. LEPrecon is the reconnaisance division of the Lower Elements Police, or LEP. This story involves mainly Holly Short, a young female LEPrecon officer.

Holly is short for an elf. She's around one centimeter short of average, but that's a lot when you're only 3 feet high to begin with. She's the elf who gets captured by Artemis while replenishing her magic after an unfortunate incident involving a rogue troll and a restaurant in Italy. Needless to say, her commanding officer, Commander Root, is not very happy about this turn of events, and he and a team of fairies use every ounce of their wit against Artemis Fowl II to free Holly and keep their gold.

Find out who wins, fairy or human, in this stellar novel by Eoin Colfer, Artemis Fowl.

Report this review Was this review helpful? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account