Plot

N/A
Characters

N/A
Writing Style

N/A
Illustrations/Photos (if applicable)

N/A
Francesca, 'Fran', feels like she doesn't fit in with what remains of her family. Her mother and sister connect and the only family member that gets her, left her mother for a bimbo chef. Fran in the meantime has two hobbies that keep her mind off her family: candy and celebrity gossip magazines.

Then her father takes her out to dinner and makes an announcement that upsets her so much, she runs to her friend Jordan's house where she finds a contest from Seventeen magazine. She takes out her anger against her father by 'making' up his death and enters the contest not knowing that later that article will come back and haunt her. She wins the Seventeen contest and gets to go with some celebrities to Africa on a literacy project. She's excited to be able to be with the very people she loves reading about until the plane crashes and she finds out not all glitters under those celeb masks.

I loved the voice of this novel. The writing is fresh and hilarious. Fran finds out to her horror how clueless these celebrities are especially the one who plays hero roles. He can't swim!
Fran gets a rude awaking to how celebrity and reality worlds in fact collide which is shown in satiric wit throughout.
Fran ends up texting Jordan while she's marooned ala Gillian's Island style. Each of the celebrities has their own unique quirk. I loved the little details she shares on all of them. My favorite one had to be Milan who had a Lindsay Lohan feel to her. One scene that totally cracked me up was when Milan pulls out her extensions and uses the hairpins to help open a coconut. Cisco felt like Zac Efron with the whole Disney past and being gorgeous. Chaz, the reporter for one celeb site is hilarious in his own devious way.

There's lots of fun moments on the island and the exchanges between all of them are captured on Fran's cell.

I laughed out loud more than once throughout this story. It was a refreshing break from all the recent dark, paranormals out there.
Report this review Was this review helpful? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account