Love Triangle Complicated by Aphasia
(Updated: June 23, 2022)
Overall rating

Plot

Characters

Writing Style

Illustrations/Photos (if applicable)

N/A
After a near drowning accident, Jane finds herself dating her longtime crush Eddie. It's a long distance relationship, and he isn't the brightest person, but it's still almost like a dream come true for her. Especially when he starts talking about moving in together. After he leaves for a business trip, Jane travels with her dad and his boss, the famous rock producer Mad Dog, back to Lake Condor. The place where it all happened.

The accident left her with aphasia which makes it more difficult for Jane to express how she feels. Sometimes the word she wants to say falls from the tip of her tongue and doesn't come back. It's frustrating, especially when she returns to Lake Condor and is reminded of the accident.

Enter Fen, Eddie's brother. The real savior of Jane. While she doesn't remember him, Fen hasn't been able to get her out of his mind. Seeing her is like seeing a ghost that's been haunting him. The worst part is he didn't know she was dating his brother. His mother didn't either. Even though Eddie warned her to stay away from Fen, Jane finds herself questioning everything. Did Eddie really lie about saving her? Does he really care. Thrown into a love triangle, Jane must follow her heart while also sorting out the facts from fiction.

While I like the idea of a love triangle every now and then, the absence of Eddie is palpable and it steals a bit of forward momentum the drama should draw up. Fen I feel is sweet but a bit obsessive. Out of the three, Jane was by far my favorite character. The fact that she suffers from aphasia gives her some diversity while teaching people how much of a trouble these conditions can be. I love how while she gets frustrated with herself, she doesn't let it get her down. She knows who she is. Now, it's about figuring out those around her.

Final Verdict: ALWAYS JANE is a young adult contemporary novel with a love triangle and a main character who struggles to remember the accident that leaves her with aphasia. It's an easy read that I finished fairly quickly. I would recommend this to fans of contemporary romance and raising awareness to certain mental conditions like aphasia.
Report this review Was this review helpful? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account