N/A
Characters

N/A
Writing Style

N/A
Illustrations/Photos (if applicable)

N/A
There are no words. None. I am done.

Ok, so maybe I have a few words I can share. For instance, I can share how my heart has been ripped out and destroyed. I can share how my love of this series is forever tainted. I can even share that I no longer have shelf space reserved for my hardbacks—which are now looking for a new home.

I am distraught.

Devastated.

In complete awe.

Let me explain my dramatics. The ending for this book blew me away. I have waited an entire week to share my thoughts, and I still can’t come to terms with what I feel. I am beyond words.

Veronica Roth took this series to a place I never expected. I admire her brazen decision, but it has left a hole. A deep, everlasting hole. When I read that fateful scene, I could not believe it. I read it, then I reread it because I just knew I was missing something. But then that ‘something’ never came.

The other thing that really got to me this time around was Tobias. I have enjoyed him so much over the years, but this time he just did not sit well with me. He constantly doubted Tris, and he came across whiny. I can say that having these HUGE character flaws did make the characters so much more believable. So that was a plus.

I also didn’t mind the alternating points of view. I was pretty excited to see Tobias’s side of things. However, by the end, I found him to get on my nerves a bit. I now feel that Veronica Roth’s strength is writing strong female leads. I never found myself having a 100% buy in with Tobias.

My final rant is the spin the final book took. We finally got to see the full outcome of this dystopian setting. It made sense, and I guess it worked, but… It didn’t wow me like I thought it would. Oh, let me also go ahead and say how awful the beginning was. It started right where Insurgent ended, but I was so confused! It’s been a year since I read that book. I need some kind of fill in to catch me up on things. Do you know how many books I read in a year?! These plots get muddled, and I do not want to have to reread a book just to make sense of the sequel. I’m thankful she did not info-dump, but I needed some more clues to help me make sense of the very important information being handed to me.

Overall, this was alright. I have loved Divergent and Insurgent. They are some of the only books that I have pre-ordered. I have counted down release days with digital timers and Facebook updates. And now I feel horribly let down. I wish I would have just waited to read Allegiant when it arrived at my library. I do not know if my reaction has more to do with the high expectations I had for the book, or the outcome of the plot. Either way, it left me conflicted.
Report this review Was this review helpful? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account