Plot

N/A
Characters

N/A
Writing Style

N/A
Illustrations/Photos (if applicable)

N/A
Let me start off with Kendare has such a way with telling a story. She had me absolutely hooked from the beginning, all the way up to the very end. I don’t know what it is about her and girls covered in blood but she kills it (pun intended). There was so much about this story that was intriguing and I just couldn’t put it down once I started reading it. If I couldn’t listen to the audio, I picked up the physical and vice versa. While I’ll be the first to say that any murder or death is horrible but there is something about true crime that is also fascinating. I’ve also been in the middle of a bunch of true crime documentaries and series so this couldn’t have been a better time for me to pick this up. But throughout the whole story the questions of who Marie Catherine Hale is and how she came to be is always there. Kendare does a great job of stringing the reader along to find out what happens but it really never gets solved. That’s why I couldn’t give this a five star. Marie says she wants to tell her story, but only to Michael. The whole time I was waiting for this story but it never happens. The ending feels so disappointing because I feel like Marie’s story was never given. There was the smallest, and I mean smallest, recounting of what happened but I wanted the whole thing. And this was never given.

I really enjoyed Michael’s point of view for this story. He’s just a kid who dreamt of being a journalist and getting out of town. When Marie is caught and part of the famous killings that are occurring, how can he not try to get the story? But it’s clear that the more time he spends with Marie, it’s something more. I think the development of Michael was absolutely natural and reading it felt right. Marie was enchanting for so many different reasons. She was secretive but at the same time felt like you already knew all her secrets. I absolutely loved the way her character was portrayed.

FINAL THOUGHTS
Overall, All These Bodies by Kendare Blake was a fascinating read. The story behind the murders and the interview of Marie Catherine Hale definitely drew me in. There is something about true crime that is devastating and interesting all at the same time and Kendare nailed both aspects. The only disappointing thing about this book is a real ending was never given. Marie’s story was never fully told even though I felt like it should have been. But I loved Michael and Marie’s character and the point of view given by Michael. If you like mystery and true crime, I would highly recommend this book.
Report this review Was this review helpful? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account