Plot

N/A
Characters

N/A
Writing Style

N/A
Illustrations/Photos (if applicable)

N/A
ALL THE BEST LIARS by Amelia Kahaney is a blaze of a novel that starts off as a slow burn before engulfing you all at once. The book explores the shifting dynamics between three childhood friends, Syd, Rain, and Brie, who, as kids, lived right outside Palm Springs in a rundown area and were always looking for a way out. Brie was the first to go. Her dad got successful in business, and when she left, she was all too fine with leaving Syd and Rain behind too. When the book kicks off, Syd, and Rain especially, hate Brie— that is until Rain’s mom hits the lottery and Rain suddenly finds herself in a completely different world. Brie and Rain start to get close again, bonded by similar circumstances, while Syd is reeling. She doesn’t want to wind up alone, and conveniently, Brie winds up dead.

This novel is expertly written. The characters, setting, and plot are all a masterclass in how to effectively tell a story. My favorite part is the structure and how we hop around in time, switching perspectives. It ramps up the tension and suspense, while also allowing us to understand what each girl is thinking about and to relate to her on some level, even if we don’t agree with her actions. While the circumstances of this novel are heightened, the author does a great job at capturing the essence of female friendships at such a tricky time. They can be supportive and nurturing, while also being possessive and fraught. Similarly, Kahaney also portrays the pressure of needing to change your circumstances in a way that feels visceral. It tapped into my muscle memory and made me ache the entire novel. There are, of course, a lot of other novels similar to this, but with the genre-blending and her surprising twists, this book stands out from the rest.

One of my favorite storylines is what happens between Chase and Syd. It’s so real. All the dialogue feels exactly how it’d actually happen, and the way his and Syd’s relationship unfolds is so sweet and heartbreaking. I got butterflies during their scenes. That being said, I’m glad that it’s a subplot and doesn’t distract from the main storyline, but instead enhances it. I also love Spider and his role in the story. The small details about everything he does are so authentic that I could easily picture him in action. Syd’s mom is the only character who’s a bit underdeveloped. Aside from her, the world of this novel is so fully realized, you could practically step right into it.

Overall, ALL THE BEST LIARS is a heart-wrenching book that reminds us the world isn’t fair, some problems are of our own doing, and other times we just have to play the cards we’ve been dealt. It combines a similar structure of GENUINE FRAUD by e. lockhart with the twisted friendships of PRETTY LITTLE LIARS. Whodunit fans won’t be disappointed.
Report this review Was this review helpful? 1 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account