IN DARKNESS, A SONG CAN LEAD THE WAY. BEWARE WHICH ONE YOU LISTEN TO
Overall rating

Plot

Characters

Writing Style

Illustrations/Photos (if applicable)

N/A
What I liked:
Abeni's Song is a middle-grade novel with beautiful world-building, an exciting plot, and complex characters that help paint a vibrant and visual treat for your mind to engage with. Abeni's song is at the heart of an African-inspired fantasy with a young girl who sets out to save her friends and family. The story is very much rooted in the quest of Abeni and her friends, so you go along for the ride as she encounters spirits that look like humans. These monsters have a haunting song and exploration of a world beyond Abeni's little village.
Final Verdict:
Abeni's Song is the author's first middle-grade novel. Though he has written many other books, he did have lengthy chapters, which would be fine for an avid reader but might be a challenge for a slower reader. I was pleased to see such a strong female representation in the story and that any male characters were sided. This book is perfect for a teacher looking to add a diverseness to her classroom shelf. I am excited to see where Abeni and her newfound family will go next on their travels.
Report this review Was this review helpful? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account