Plot

N/A
Characters

N/A
Writing Style

N/A
Illustrations/Photos (if applicable)

N/A
It takes a lot of skill to make a book about an inanimate object interesting. Let me tell you, Linda Sue Park has done just that with "A Single Shard" and taken things a step further. She’s made this tale about a pot heartwarming and tear jerking.

"A Single Shard" follows the story of Tree-ear, an orphan in twelfth century Korea who begins an apprenticeship with a master potter. While that brief rundown might make the book seem boring, it’s anything but. As the story unfolds, Tree-ear learns lessons of hard work, discipline, family and constantly striving for your goals.

I grabbed this book in my search to find out what makes a Newbery Medal winner, and "A Single Shard" is one such book to hold that honor. While the mystery hasn’t been totally solved, Park’s moving writing about a pot really hints at the type of emotional prowess Newbery judges are looking for in an author’s writing. So many people can write well, but it’s the messages you deliver with that writing that really count.

All in all, thanks to "Shard," not only am I going to continue to grab more Newbery winners, but I’m also going to look into taking a pottery class here and there.
Good Points
Takes a seemingly ordinary inanimate object and turns it into an extraordinary thing.
Relatable characters who tug at your heartstrings.
Quick read that packs an emotional punch.
Report this review Was this review helpful? 9 3

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account