Review Detail

Overall rating 

Writing Style 

Illustrations/Photos (if applicable)  

Learning Value 

incredible tale of survival

LOST IN THE AMAZON is the incredible true story of a plane crash survivor who survived in the Amazon rainforest for 11 days. With a narrative style of writing, we experience the struggle and dangers of the rainforest along with Juliane Koepcke, a seventeen-year-old girl. With various other stories of survival in the rainforest combined in small vignettes throughout, the fear and dangers of the rainforest survival really come to life.

The book follows the flight from the take-off, giving a few tastes of some of the other passengers who did not survive, through to her journey and fight for survival until rescue and then at the end of her future endeavors and the changes to the rainforest in that time.

A harrowing tale, this book is easily digestible for the middle grade audience. Adding to the narrative writing style are pictures throughout of animals, people, and rainforest flora that add to the descriptive text. The dangerous fight for her life really comes alive in this book.

What I loved: The story follows various aspects of the journey and sets the stage for what it is like to be alone in the rainforest really well, including accounts from others who survived lost there (such as the sounds of the animals and the fruits far out of reach). The images throughout really add to the understanding and experience. Additionally, the steps that Juliane took which helped to ensure her survival are also explained and give a taste of how you might also survive in such a situation (for instance, following the river, even though it is windy).

Final verdict: This is an engaging and well written non-fiction book that brings 17-year-old Juliane’s harrowing experience to life. I would recommend for anyone who enjoys thrillers and survival stories, across ages. This works well for younger audiences who will get into the narrative style and well-explained terms and engages even older readers in this incredible tale of survival.

Was this review helpful to you? 

Comments

Ordering 

Already have an account? or Create an account

Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

A strong educational foundation helps ensure a child is able...

0.0 (0)

0.0 (0)

0.0 (0)
Be More Chill: Broadway Tie-In
The groundbreaking novel that inspired the Tony-nominated Broadway musical! Jeremy...

0.0 (0)
Season of the Witch (The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina, #1)
From the creator of Riverdale comes the Chilling Adventures of...

0.0 (0)
The Dummy Meets the Mummy! (Goosebumps SlappyWorld #8)
After being put back to sleep and abandoned in an...

0.0 (0)
It's Alive! It's Alive! (Goosebumps SlappyWorld #7)
A brand-new Goosebumps arc narrated by the most iconic and...

0.0 (0)
Every Stolen Breath
The Swarm is unrecognizable, untraceable, and unpredictable—random attacks on the...

0.0 (0)
Cursed Beauty
Aurora Rose Brynhild is out of time. ...

0.0 (0)
The C Word
Addison: Secrets have a way of getting out....

0.0 (0)
Aphelion
Ky isn’t your typical seventeen-year-old girl. She's an alien hunter.Ky...

0.0 (0)
Announcing Trouble
I may know everything there is to know about baseball,...

0.0 (0)
Seneca Lake
It's 1944, and high school senior Meg Michaels has always...

0.0 (0)
Freshman Witch
Of course, magic is real. Everybody knows that. ...

0.0 (0)
Sarai and The Around The World Fair
When Sarai outgrows her bike, she worries she'll never get...

0.0 (0)
Of Beast and Beauty
7 vengeful sisters 7 fairytale kingdoms 7 daughters...

0.0 (0)

Latest Member Reviews

The Season

"THE SEASON by Sarah MacLean is a YA historical fiction novel that centers around seventeen-year-old Alex, who is coming of..."

"Reader reviewed by cieli The Season by Sarah MacLean is an amzing book for anyone that enjoys an eightenth century..."

"Reader reviewed by Lexie Let me admit to something straight off the bat--if your characters name is Alexandra Elizabeth and..."

"Reader reviewed by Lexie Let me admit to something straight off the bat--if your characters name is Alexandra Elizabeth and..."

"Reader reviewed by stephanie I have to admit, I honestly think I overestimated The Season. Though the book itself was..."

"Reader reviewed by Steph Su Seventeen-year-old Alexandra Stafford, along with her friends Vivi and Ella, are about..."

"Reader reviewed by Cowgirl Three girls and best friends, Vivi, Alex, and Ella, are now beginning their Season, and truthfully,..."