Review Detail

Overall rating 

Writing Style 

Illustrations/Photos (if applicable)  

Learning Value 

Ad Astra Per Aspera

Ms. Acevedo, scientist by training and CEO of the Girl Scouts of the USA, grew up in New Mexico in the 1960s and 70s. Her father was a scientist who had some personal issues, and her mother struggled with English when Sylvia was young. Her younger sister was left with learning issues after a bout with meningitis. Despite these challenges, Sylvia loves school and reading, and was determined to make life better for her family. Even though st the time, girls were not always encouraged to aim for careers, explore science, or learn to fix cars, Sylvia doggedly pursued what she liked despite meeting resistance from her teachers. Being involved in the Girl Scouts gave her opportunities she might not have had otherwise, and she was given more support for her interests, especially when a leader allowed her to pursue a badge for an older Girl Scout group when she was interested in studying space. She was also interested in band and basketball, and used the many life skills she acquired through persevering with these interests to go on to college, graduate school, and a varied career.

Good Points
This is well formatted and engaging, with just enough pictures to give us a feel for the time. Ms. Acevedo's story is a fantastic example for young readers that if one has focus and determination, there is a lot that can be accomplished, even if life isn't always easy. The treatment of Latinx during this time period is something I have not seen covered in middle grade literature very much, making this a good follow up to something like Sylvia and Aki, which covers the treatment of this group during WWII.

Acevedo must be about 8 years older than I am, so while the details of growing up at that time are spot on, the book was a little boring for me because it seemed so much like my own life! (Yes, even in 1978 there was only one girl in my class who opted out of home ec and took shop class instead!) I'm curious to see if students today will be surprised about the strictures placed on girls, and recognize that there is still a way to go before there are enough women in the scientific and technical fields.

I generally don't buy biographies or memoirs until the subjects have passed away (biography of Michael Jackson from 1984, anyone?), but a good memoir tells a story of a particular time, place, and set of circumstances that can be relevant even if the subject goes on to have a more stories career. For readers who liked the Barakat's Balcony on the Moon, Collard 's Snakes, Alligators, and Broken Hearts: Journeys of a Biologist's Son, Saedi's Americanized: Rebel Without a Green Card or Grande, 's The Distance Between Us, this is a timely and topical choice.
Was this review helpful to you? 

Comments

Ordering 

Already have an account? or Create an account

Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

Clink A Story of Cyberbullying
Click is the heroic story of a young girl who...

0.0 (0)
On Blood Road (A Vietnam War Novel)
The last place on earth Taylor Sorenson wants to be...

0.0 (0)
Aiden is the son of a fisherman on the south...

0.0 (0)
A Thousand Sisters: The Heroic Airwomen of the Soviet Union in World War II
In the early years of World War II, Josef Stalin...

0.0 (0)
The Faithful Spy: Dietrich Bonhoeffer and the Plot to Kill Hitler
Adolf Hitler’s Nazi party is gaining strength and becoming more...

0.0 (0)
New Kid
Seventh grader Jordan Banks loves nothing more than drawing cartoons...

0.0 (0)
Watch Hollow
Deep within the enchanted woods in the town of Watch...

0.0 (0)
Giant Days
Based on the hit graphic-novel series from BOOM! Studios, the...

0.0 (0)
The Unteachables
The Unteachables are a notorious class of misfits, delinquents, and...

0.0 (0)
Tales from the Inner City is a collection of incredibly...

0.0 (0)
Gamer Army
After Rogan Webber levels up yet again on his favorite...

0.0 (0)
The world tilted for Elodee this year, and now it’s...

0.0 (0)
Right as Rain
It’s been almost a year since Rain’s brother Guthrie died,...

0.0 (0)
Charlie, Mac, and Maria managed to rescue the Project Chimera...

0.0 (0)
Bravelands #3: Blood and Bone
Set in the African savannah and told from three different...

0.0 (0)
Tom Gates Is Absolutely Fantastic (at Some Things) (#5)
Since Tom forgets everything, it’s not surprising that he forgot...

0.0 (0)

Latest Member Reviews

Dr. E's Super Stellar Solar System: Massive Mountains! Supersize Storms! Alien Atmospheres!

"Dr. E’s Super Stellar Solar System reads like your child’s favorite comic book. Each chapter begins with a graphic novel..."
Astronaut Aquanaut: How Space Science and Sea Science Interact

"Jennifer Swanson does a great job teaching potential young explorers all about the amazing similarities between space exploration and deep-sea..."
Soccer School Season 1: Where Soccer Explains (Rules) the World

" "Coaches" Alex and Ben introduce the reader to their school that is all about soccer. Every class, from biology..."
Path to the Stars: My Journey from Girl Scout to Rocket Scientist

"Ms. Acevedo, scientist by training and CEO of the Girl Scouts of the USA, grew up in New Mexico in..."
History's Mysteries: Freaky Phenomena: Curious Clues, Cold Cases, and Puzzles From the Past

"HISTORY'S MYSTERIES: FREAKY PHENOMENA teaches about the theories, clues and details behind occurrences that seem out of this world. The..."
Animal Zombies!: And Other Bloodsucking Beasts, Creepy Creatures, and Real-Life Monsters

"ANIMAL ZOMBIES is the perfect educational book for the Halloween season. With stories of vampires, werewolves, and zombies, we know..."
The Diamond and the Boy

"Told in alternation POVs, THE DIAMOND AND THE BOY tells the story of how the diamond is created and the..."
Abraham Lincoln's Dueling Words

"'Abraham Lincoln's Dueling Words' by Donna Janell Bowman, illustrated by S.D. Schindler, brings to light a not-so-well-known piece of history..."
Eleanor Roosevelt, Fighter for Justice: Her Impact on the Civil Rights Movement, the White House, and the World

"Eleanor Roosevelt has always been one of my favorite historical figures; my daughter is named Eleanor, since it's a good,..."
Elephants

"ELEPHANTS contains the truth people may not know about elephants. There are facts about how they live, eat, and so..."
Where is the Mississippi River?

"The Mississippi is the longest river in North America. It rises at Lake Itasca in Minnesota and flows almost due..."
A Kids' Guide to the American Revolution (Kids' Guide to American History)

"A Kid’s Guide to the American Revolution is full of intriguing facts and details about the struggle that gave birth..."
What's So Special About Dickens?

"Like many adults, I have a deep, abiding love for classic literature—a love that did not begin during my childhood...."
Resist: 35 Profiles of Ordinary People Who Rose Up Against Tyranny and Injustice

"This is a collection of brief biographies of people who stood up and resisted injustices and tyranny. There's a little..."
A Place for Fish

"A PLACE FOR FISH teaches about different fish and creatures that live in the water and ways that people can..."
Now You Know How It Works

"NOW YOU KNOW HOW IT WORKS explains how certain things work, such as rubber balls, kites, garbage, flashlights, boats, and..."
Lovely Beasts

"LOVELY BEASTS teaches that animals you may believe to be scary, are actually not so bad and that there's so..."
I Wish I Was a Gorilla

"This level one reader introduces children to details about gorillas by asking what they would do if they WERE gorillas...."
More Deadly Than War: The Hidden History of the Spanish Flu and the First World War

"This well-illustrated book covers a vast amount of historical information concerning both World War I and the Spanish Flu Epidemic,..."
Science: A LEGO Adventure in the Real World

"Insightful, engaging, and downright fun! LEGO hits on all the learning styles in this brilliantly interactive science primer. ..."