Review Detail

Overall rating 

Writing Style 

Illustrations/Photos (if applicable)  

Learning Value 

Little Known Workers' Rights Figure

Fannie Sellins was a single mother trying to put food on the table for her four young children by working in Marx and Haas Clothing Co. in St. Louis. The conditions were wretchedly poor, so when she heard about seamstresses in Chicago and New York City forming unions, she rallied support from the workers to create Local 67 of the United Garment Workers of America. Although the conditions were improved at this factory, it was still a very difficult way to earn a living.

After serving as president of her local union, Fannie traveled to different cities giving talks about working conditions. In the early 1900s, these were often treacherous-- buildings in poor condition, workers riddled with disease, and dangerous jobs performed by very young children. The union not only worked to get these conditions improved, but took up collections to help families affected by them. Strikes were common and often brutal. At one of these, in Black Valley, Pennsylvania, shots were fired into a crowd, and Fannie was killed. The police inquiry absolved the officer, and even commended the force for keeping the peace!

Good Points
While young readers may study a little bit about the labor movement in the United States, it is often impersonal. Focusing a movement around the actions of one person is a great way to encourage empathy for it by giving it a human face.

The formatting of this book is excellent-- while I'm not usually a fan of larger books (this is about 10" x 10"), this size allows plenty of photographs and a lot of space around the text. While it may seem silly, this is a HUGE selling point. Readers are often reluctant to pick up books filled with dense blocks of text and few pictures. The buttons and cogs at the bottom of the sepia toned pages also make this a more reader-friendly book, and that will go a long way to entice children to read about this important historical figure.

I loved this author's Pure Grit, but felt that it was too long and involved for most of my readers. Fannie Never Flinched struck an excellent balance between easy-to-read format and amount of information. It's a great starting point for National History Day projects (especially in 2016-17, with the theme being Taking a Stand!), and will intrigue and encourage readers to investigate the other sources listed in the bibliography.
Was this review helpful to you? 

Comments

Ordering 

Already have an account? or Create an account

Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

Esme's Wish
When fifteen-year-old Esme Silver objects at her father's wedding, her...

0.0 (0)
What the Night Sings
For fans of The Book Thief and The Boy in...

0.0 (0)
In the first book of this new series, Sage Stone...

0.0 (0)
Bright Burns the Night
Ten years ago, King Lorcan of the Dark Kingdom...

0.0 (0)
The Edge of Juniper
Malcolm Dearing is sweet, gorgeous, persistent...and off-limits. Fay is...

0.0 (0)
Marked Beauty
Uncovering hidden secrets can sometimes kill you . ....

0.0 (0)
Listen to Your Heart
Kasie West brings us another compelling read with “Listen...

5.0 (1)
Screenshot
Skye's social media game is always on point. Until...

0.0 (0)
And She Was
Dara’s lived a sheltered life with her single mom,...

0.0 (0)
The God Gene Chronicles: The Secret of the Gods
Legend and lore lay the foundation for this exciting new...

0.0 (0)
Big Water
Seventeen-year-old Christina McBurney has led a sheltered life. But when...

0.0 (0)
Two schools: One of magic and science, the other focused...

0.0 (0)
The Kidult Handbook: From Blanket Forts to Capture the Flag, a Grownup's Guide to Playing Like a Kid
Adulting is hard! But “kidulting”— engaging in nostalgic childhood activities...

0.0 (0)
Science: A LEGO Adventure in the Real World
Did you know that the blue whale could blow up...

0.0 (0)
Meant To Be Broken
Rayne Davidson is perfectly happy fading into the background. Her...

5.0 (3)
Switching Gears
Still mourning the loss of Lucas Nelson, the boy she...

0.0 (0)

Latest Member Reviews

Skeleton Key (Alex Rider #3)

"This kept me on the edge of my seat for the whole 4 hours it took me to read it......"
Scorpia (Alex Rider #5)

"I must say, this was a big imporvement from Eagle Strike. I really didn't know what was going to happen..."

"Reader reviewed by Alex W. Alex Rider the 14 year old spy is back. He is on a..."
Necropolis (The Gatekeepers #4)

"Reader reviewed by Julie H. This series is perhaps a bit more suitable to a slightly older tween/teen than Horowitz's..."

"Reader reviewed by Tyler Skeleton Key book rocks. it is the thrid book in the alex rider seris and..."
Scorpia (Alex Rider #5)

"Reader reviewed by EshInoBi I didn't know what to expect of this book when I began, but I must say,..."

"Reader reviewed by EshInoBi Skeleton key was exciting, book-round. Not that a book is round. But I was pleased to..."

"Reader reviewed by Allyssa Not to confuse this book with a (different) movie or band. Alex Rider is back in..."
Scorpia (Alex Rider #5)

"Reader reviewed by Emma L This book is almost ready to be made into a movie. It is action-packed and..."
Scorpia (Alex Rider #5)

"Reader reviewed by joanne Out of all the Alex Rider books, I liked Scorpia the best. The excitement and power..."
Scorpia (Alex Rider #5)

"Reader reviewed by Arly I love this book. Alex has been unfairly treated by MI6. You can really identify with..."