Review Detail

Overall rating 

Plot/Characters/Writing Style 

Illustrations/Photos (if applicable) 

N/A

middle grade book for entrepreneurs!

THE STARTUP SQUAD follows primarily Theresa (Resa) as she and a group of three other girls compete in a contest to make money for the sixth grade trip. The sixth grade trip this year is to a theme park, and so fundraising is in order! This year, the students have been selected into groups and will compete with lemonade stands. Of course, there are rules to follow, but the group who makes the most money will get VIP tickets to the theme park with souvenirs and fast passes.

Resa badly wants to win, but she is not happy about two of the girls on her team. Luckily, her BFF Didi is there also. Resa has a lot to learn about being a leader and running a business, and the journey won’t be easy. Can they pull it off and sell the most lemonade?

What I loved: It’s always fun to read about girls who take charge and who learn how to run a business. There are some cool pointers scattered throughout the book on how to make a successful business as well as how it works with profits and expenses. The diversity of the main characters was also great, featuring several ethnicities/races.

What left me wanting more: There is a lot of arguing between the girls, and this seemed a bit over the top at times. I think a couple pointed discussions could have gotten the same message across. A large part of the book was arguments. It also would have been nice to have a girl show strong leadership from the get-go, as some of the personalities felt a bit stereotypical, but this is learned during the book.

Final verdict: With some great lessons about running a business, THE STARTUP SQUAD is a fun introduction to what it takes. The pointers at the end of the book are also a great addition! I would recommend for readers who enjoy BABYSITTERS CLUB and other similar books with relationship dynamics and a common goal.

Was this review helpful to you? 

Comments

Ordering 

Already have an account? or Create an account