Review Detail

Kids Fiction
Overall rating 

Plot/Characters/Writing Style 

Illustrations/Photos (if applicable) 

N/A

a lightly supernatural book about healing

TRACE is a book about healing. Trace lives with his Auntie Lea after his parents died in a car accident which he miraculously survived. He is floundering a bit in school and life, mainly due to PTSD symptoms that have him remembering and reliving the car accident. He visits a psychologist, Dr. Proctor, who helps him to cope with these feelings. He has recently been assigned a school project to study and present the 1860s to his class.

As part of this, he goes to the New York Public Library where he ends up finding a boy crying. He soon notices that the boy is transparent- a ghost. As part of his research, he learns about a riot where people burned down the Colored Orphan Asylum and a child may have died. He digs deeper into this trying to understand if this could be the child who died. As he navigates therapy and his school project, he also learns more about the boy he has seen and his family history.

What I loved: The ghost was a relatively small part of the story, but the history lesson was really interesting. We learn a lot through Trace as he investigates. This is also an interesting portrayal of grief, PTSD and the slow recovery of healing in a middle grade book. I really liked how they showed some of the therapy sessions, which is great for young readers to view.

There are also some themes about racism in modern (and historical) America. When Trace reports the ghost as a lost child (before he is fully sure that the boy is a ghost) and the security guards cannot find him, they detain him and confiscate his phone. His aunt discusses this with him in a way that young readers can understand.

What left me wanting more: There were a few comments that were really unnecessary and I wish had been left out or handled more fully/deeply. The first are around the comments about the librarian and the way the boys talk about her body, which felt unnecessary to her description and a bit close to sexual harassment. The second is when an older woman comments about men in general negatively, and Trace assumes she is a lesbian before she mentions her husband. This is not further explained and seemed a little odd or stereotyping.

Final verdict: Overall, this is an interesting story that combines history with the present. The ghost adds an interesting element to the book that gives it an air of mystery. I would recommend for people looking for lightly supernatural stories/mysteries and books about healing.

Was this review helpful to you? 

Comments

Ordering 

Already have an account? or Create an account

Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

A strong educational foundation helps ensure a child is able...

0.0 (0)

0.0 (0)

0.0 (0)
Be More Chill: Broadway Tie-In
The groundbreaking novel that inspired the Tony-nominated Broadway musical! Jeremy...

0.0 (0)
Season of the Witch (The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina, #1)
From the creator of Riverdale comes the Chilling Adventures of...

0.0 (0)
The Dummy Meets the Mummy! (Goosebumps SlappyWorld #8)
After being put back to sleep and abandoned in an...

0.0 (0)
It's Alive! It's Alive! (Goosebumps SlappyWorld #7)
A brand-new Goosebumps arc narrated by the most iconic and...

0.0 (0)
Every Stolen Breath
The Swarm is unrecognizable, untraceable, and unpredictable—random attacks on the...

0.0 (0)
Cursed Beauty
Aurora Rose Brynhild is out of time. ...

0.0 (0)
The C Word
Addison: Secrets have a way of getting out....

0.0 (0)
Aphelion
Ky isn’t your typical seventeen-year-old girl. She's an alien hunter.Ky...

0.0 (0)
Announcing Trouble
I may know everything there is to know about baseball,...

0.0 (0)
Seneca Lake
It's 1944, and high school senior Meg Michaels has always...

0.0 (0)
Freshman Witch
Of course, magic is real. Everybody knows that. ...

0.0 (0)
Sarai and The Around The World Fair
When Sarai outgrows her bike, she worries she'll never get...

0.0 (0)
Of Beast and Beauty
7 vengeful sisters 7 fairytale kingdoms 7 daughters...

0.0 (0)

Latest Member Reviews

Twilight (Twilight #1)

"I don’t even know how to begin this review. This isn’t the first time I’ve read Stephenie Meyer‘s Twilight. It..."
Storm and Fury

"Storm and Fury by Jennifer L Armentrout is the first in her spin-off series The Harbinger. When I started reading,..."

"'Handwriting Skills Workbook' does a great job of informing students and parents alike about the importance of focusing on how..."

"'Sorting for STEM Big Skills Workbook' deals with core concepts. Science, technology, engineering, and mathematics are the focus in this..."

"'Math Practice Extra Big Skills Workbook' has a large variety of fun activities to help students build their math knowledge...."
Be More Chill: Broadway Tie-In

"BE MORE CHILL is an interesting discourse on popularity/being "Cool" and the pros/cons of technology. Jeremy is part of the..."
Darkblood Academy

"With the integration of the human and supernatural worlds, things are bound to get crazy. Luna never thought she was..."
Season of the Witch (The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina, #1)

"SEASON OF THE WITCH is a fantastic start to the Sabrina series. While fans of the shows will appreciate all..."
The Dummy Meets the Mummy! (Goosebumps SlappyWorld #8)

"When Cathy's dad gets a new mummy for his Haunted Horror Museum, he's over the moon. It's just what his..."
It's Alive! It's Alive! (Goosebumps SlappyWorld #7)

"With parents who are experts in robotics, Livvy wants to follow their lead and build an amazing robot for her..."
Hitched: The Bachelorette

"When Kimmie-Jayne lands the role on Hitched, she's thrilled that her dreams of acting are coming true. She's also excited..."
The Culling

"Grant and his sister Stevie are on their own, trying to survive in a desolate bayou with limited food sources...."
Every Stolen Breath

"EVERY STOLEN BREATH is an engrossing read that follows Lia as she attempts to uncover her father's killers. Every so..."
Skipping Forward

"Skipping Forward by Bethany Wicker is a standalone contemporary fantasy about a girl who can skip through time. This book..."
Fangs & Fins

"Ivy and Ember are thrown together when their parents marry. One a popular girl, the other a bookworm, they start..."
The N Word

"Alright, if you read my review of The F Word, you know how attached I already am to these characters...."
Announcing Trouble

"Making me smile all the way through, ANNOUNCING TROUBLE was a pure delight. Josie is almost eighteen with an enormous..."
Of Wolves and Witches

"Harper is sent to a magical Academy when she breaks the rules. She doesn't expect to end up with two..."
Golden Chains

"Feedback I just… wow. What a different pace than the first novel! Right off the bat we are thrown into..."
Sarai and The Around The World Fair

"Though rich and vibrant in illustrations and culture, Sarai and the Around the World Fair is a slow-mover. ..."