Review Detail

Overall rating 

Plot/Characters/Writing Style 

Illustrations/Photos (if applicable) 

N/A

Murder Mystery Solved by Pets

Arthur, an enthusiastic but somewhat misguided mixed breed dog, and Queenie, a particular and discerning cat, both live with their humans at the Blackberry Hill Inn, which is near some mountains (in Maine?). Harmony and Bro are the children who play hockey, and Mom runs the bed and breakfast. When a gues, Mr. LeMaire wants to hike the Sokoki Trail, he wants to hire the children's cousin Matty for twice the going rate, but he is busy. Instead, he hires the children, and insists that they return after they get him to the trailhead. When he doesn't return, their mother is concerned until she gets a text that he was called away on business, and that someone will call to pick up his luggage. This seems somewhat suspicious, and when Harmony has a bad day at hockey with a teammate, she takes Arthur on a hike... and discovers LeMaire's body in a cave. Matty is in the area cleaning brush, and the two called sheriff Hunziger and his deputy Carstairs. Hunziger is an idiot, and before long is accusing Matty of the murder. Matty runs off and Arthur takes a bit at Hunziger, prompting his removal by the local animal authorities for a while. There are some odd documents in LeMaire's room, and the woman who picks up his things acts oddly, so Harmony starts investigating. Hunziger is sure that the murder was motivated by a hunt for artifacts, but the evidence suggests more of a connection with moonshine running at the time of Prohibition, and secrets about local families start to surface.

Good Points
This is a murder mystery, and my students are ALWAYS asking for murder mysteries. It's a tricky thing, murder for middle schoolers. Your need to have someone they know, but not someone close to them. The murder can't be too gruesome, and the culprit must be found and their motives explained. Quinn does a good job at all of those requirements.

The connection to rum running and Prohibition was fascinating. I also enjoyed Harmony's passion for hockey, and the fact that a teammate who gave her grief was reprimanded by his father and made to apologize was great. Readers who like books from animals' perspective will enjoy Queenie and Arthur's take on things, as well as their love for sausage. The Bowser and Birdie books do well in my library.

I wasn't a fan of Sheriff Hunziger, Bro, and Arthur all be depicted as not very bright. One character, maybe, but this made me suspect something bad in the water. Hunziger is just evil, but Bro sounds like he might need some intervention.
Was this review helpful to you? 

Comments

Ordering 

Already have an account? or Create an account

Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

A strong educational foundation helps ensure a child is able...

0.0 (0)

0.0 (0)

0.0 (0)
Be More Chill: Broadway Tie-In
The groundbreaking novel that inspired the Tony-nominated Broadway musical! Jeremy...

0.0 (0)
Season of the Witch (The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina, #1)
From the creator of Riverdale comes the Chilling Adventures of...

0.0 (0)
The Dummy Meets the Mummy! (Goosebumps SlappyWorld #8)
After being put back to sleep and abandoned in an...

0.0 (0)
It's Alive! It's Alive! (Goosebumps SlappyWorld #7)
A brand-new Goosebumps arc narrated by the most iconic and...

0.0 (0)
Every Stolen Breath
The Swarm is unrecognizable, untraceable, and unpredictable—random attacks on the...

0.0 (0)
Cursed Beauty
Aurora Rose Brynhild is out of time. ...

0.0 (0)
The C Word
Addison: Secrets have a way of getting out....

0.0 (0)
Aphelion
Ky isn’t your typical seventeen-year-old girl. She's an alien hunter.Ky...

0.0 (0)
Announcing Trouble
I may know everything there is to know about baseball,...

0.0 (0)
Seneca Lake
It's 1944, and high school senior Meg Michaels has always...

0.0 (0)
Freshman Witch
Of course, magic is real. Everybody knows that. ...

0.0 (0)
Sarai and The Around The World Fair
When Sarai outgrows her bike, she worries she'll never get...

0.0 (0)
Of Beast and Beauty
7 vengeful sisters 7 fairytale kingdoms 7 daughters...

0.0 (0)

Latest Member Reviews

"'Handwriting Skills Workbook' does a great job of informing students and parents alike about the importance of focusing on how..."

"'Sorting for STEM Big Skills Workbook' deals with core concepts. Science, technology, engineering, and mathematics are the focus in this..."

"'Math Practice Extra Big Skills Workbook' has a large variety of fun activities to help students build their math knowledge...."
The Dummy Meets the Mummy! (Goosebumps SlappyWorld #8)

"When Cathy's dad gets a new mummy for his Haunted Horror Museum, he's over the moon. It's just what his..."
It's Alive! It's Alive! (Goosebumps SlappyWorld #7)

"With parents who are experts in robotics, Livvy wants to follow their lead and build an amazing robot for her..."
Sarai and The Around The World Fair

"Though rich and vibrant in illustrations and culture, Sarai and the Around the World Fair is a slow-mover. ..."
The Pepper Party Picks The Perfect Pet (The Pepper Party, #1)

"Absolute fun is one way to summarize The Pepper Party Picks the Perfect Pet. Perfectly placed and brilliant illustrations helped..."
Dirt

"After Yonder's mom dies, she and her dad are struck with grief and have trouble picking up the pieces. It..."
Where the Heart Is

"The start of thirteen-year-old Rachel’s summer doesn’t go as she planned. Tensions are high at her home and she knows..."
Smile: How Young Charlie Chaplin Taught the World to Laugh (and Cry)

"'Smile: How Young Charlie Chaplin Taught the World to Laugh (and Cry)' by Gary Golio, illustrated by Ted Young, is..."
Professor Renoir’s Collection of Oddities, Curiosities, and Delights

"PROFESSOR RENOIR'S COLLECTION OF ODDITIES, CURIOSITIES, AND DELIGHTS primarily follows Babe, a fourteen-year-old girl who has gigantism. She already stands..."
Truman

"TRUMAN is an unbelievably sweet story about a tortoise. Truman the tortoise lives with his best friend and owner Sarah,..."
The Day the Universe Exploded My Head: Poems to Take You into Space and Back Again

"THE DAY THE UNIVERSE EXPLODED MY HEAD features cartoony planets and drawings along with poems on each page. Topical, clever,..."
Fallen Empires (Cleopatra in Space #5)

"I'm a huge fan of graphic novels and this series is one that is sure to appeal to those who..."
Carnival Catastrophe (The Problim Children, #2)

"CARNIVAL CATASTROPHE follows the seven Problim children as they continue their search for their mother. The seven siblings must work..."
Big Red School (Clifford)

"CLIFFORD: BIG RED SCHOOL follows Emily Elizabeth and Clifford as they create a special school just for Clifford. Clifford loves..."
I Got Next

"I GOT NEXT is a picture book about self-confidence. A boy encourages himself to challenge the other kids who are..."
A Friend for Bently

"A FRIEND FOR BENTLY is a heart-warming story of an unlikely friendship. Bently is the only pig on the farm..."
The Great Pumpkin Contest

"THE GREAT PUMPKIN CONTEST is a sweet and fun read about friendship. Mimi and her neighbor Clara are each entering..."
Save Your Friends!

"SAVE YOUR FRIENDS! is a simple, interactive story told in speech bubbles. The shark is about to eat your friends,..."