Review Detail

Overall rating 

Plot/Characters/Writing Style 

Illustrations/Photos (if applicable) 

N/A

The best kind of puppy treat!

Sunny and Rosy's human packs for vacation, but doesn't take her beloved dogs with her! Instead, they get to visit Grandma and Grandpa, who dote on the pups. Sunny explains that there will be all sorts of head rubs and extra treats, so Rosy thinks this is a good plan. When Grandma takes them out to garden, however, she thinks that the dogs are responsible for tearing up some of her vegetables, and thinks they are naughty! They don't get to go outside as much, and their special barbecue treat is canceled! Oh, no! The dogs know that they didn't damage anything, so they start to investigate who did. In their best detective costumes, they go into the garden while the grandparents are away, and take a closer look at the clues. They meet Clove, a groundhog, who is sympathetic to their task, but are not able to solve the mystery. They spend their days doing yoga, watching movies and eating popcorn, and generally enjoying their new atmosphere, but as their vacation draws to a close, they know they much figure out their problem. They find the culprit right under their noses, and he apologizes. More importantly, the pugs manage to alert the grandparents about the thief without getting him into danger. The barbecue is back on, and the pugs find at the end of their vacation that their harnesses are a bit snug after their surfeit of snacks!

Good Points
Rosy and Sunny are both exuberant puppies, and the pictures of their antics are delightful! How Ms. Ahn packs so much character into simple line drawings is amazing, and the depiction of dogs in their pajamas, doing yoga or just romping around the garden are delightful.

While it's fairly clear to the reader who is stealing the vegetables, we see all of the events from the pugs' perspective, so we can also understand why they are a bit in the dark. I do love the "dog's eye" view presented here-- we only see the legs of the humans, and occasionally hands that are feeding treats or petting the dogs. It's fun to see the dogs' list of the highlights of their vacation-- making new friends, relaxing outside, snuggling, playing, and of course, treats! That was the only thing that concerned me-- I hope that Rosy and Sunny's human takes them on lots of walks so that their extra treats don't cause any health problems!

This series is a step up for readers who have enjoyed the goofy early reader mysteries of Robert M. Quackenbush (Sherlock Chick, Henry) or Kin Platt (Big Max) but who like a few more pictures than Warner's The Boxcar Children or Roy's Alphabet Mysteries provide. The drawings are so much fun that this could also be a read aloud for a younger child who must leave a pet with someone else, and even my middle school students find these to be a bit of a "vacation" read!
Was this review helpful to you? 

Comments

Ordering 

Already have an account? or Create an account

Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

Tin
Tin
In an alternative England of the 1930s where the laws...

0.0 (0)
Stolen Girl
Nadia is haunted by World War II. Her memories of...

0.0 (0)
The Iliad
More than three thousand years ago, two armies faced each...

0.0 (0)
A Light Amongst Shadows
James Spencer is hardly the typical troubled youth who ends...

0.0 (0)
the orphan fixed.jpg
Sometimes the ones who save us are the ones we...

0.0 (0)
Astrid the Unstoppable
Pippi Longstocking meets Heidi meets Anne Shirley in this tale...

0.0 (0)
Dreamland
In his sleep, Louie starts visiting a magical world where...

0.0 (0)
Me, Shakespeare and the Anti-Love Club
Heartbroken and spurned Kassidy starts an Anti-Love Club in response...

0.0 (0)
The Last Hope (The Raging Ones, #2)
Sacrifice all you have to survive. ...

0.0 (0)
NewBookCover.jpg
The Akakies, a peaceful, technologically advanced alien species known as...

5.0 (1)
A new, revised edition of Edward Willett’s multi-award-winning young adult...

0.0 (0)
Love at First Fight
Band Geek vs Quarterback... One humiliating photo, a stupid...

0.0 (0)
Ellie Quinn has spent most of her sixteen years behind...

0.0 (0)
King Geek vs the Cheerleader Julia Farrow...

0.0 (0)
Gamer vs Player Some girls have a...

0.0 (0)
Long live Solaris. One bloodthirsty ruler has...

0.0 (0)

Latest Member Reviews

Breakout

"BREAKOUT is a thrilling and fast-paced YA sci-fi/dystopian. Lezah is in prison for a crime she cannot remember. This future..."
The Last Voyage of Poe Blythe

"THE LAST VOYAGE OF POE BLYTHE is a fascinating YA fantasy/dystopian that is even better than Condie's Matched series. The..."
Never Fade (The Darkest Minds #2)

""Never Fade" continues the Darkest Minds series with what felt a bit like an intermediate book. Beginning after the end..."
True Born

"“True Born” is one of my new favorites- a really fantastic YA fantasy. Lucinda (aka Lucy and Lu) and her..."
True North (True Born Trilogy)

"“True North” is a fantastic continuation of the True Born series. Lucy is on her own with her parents and..."

"When her parents take her sister to Russia, Lucy has nobody except the True Born Storm. Lucy agrees to be..."
True Born

"TRUE BORN follows Lucy and her twin Margot as they deal with the drama and politics of a post-apocalyptic world...."
The Jewel (The Lone City #1)

"Original Review: http://www.literarychaos.com/ This book is one of those dystopia-esque novels that I had a really hard time getting..."
The Mind Virus

"THE MIND VIRUS by Donna Freitas is the third and final installment of the UNPLUGGED series. The story opens with..."
The Body Market

"THE BODY MARKET by Donna Freitas is the sequel to the young adult dystopian novel, UNPLUGGED, released in summer 2016...."
The Selection Coloring Book

"Selection fans get excited! THE SELECTION COLORING BOOK, based on the series by Kiera Cass, is getting ready to celebrate..."
The Return (The After Trilogy: Book Two)

"Kelly St. Clare is a genius! An evil genius for sure, but she's still a genius! This book was..."

"L.E. Sterling’s TRUE NORTH is the second in her True Born trilogy. The series takes place on a dystopian Earth..."
The Return (The After Trilogy: Book Two)

"You don't expect science fiction to have you rolling in laughter. The story: Let's face it, the..."
True Born

"This book is a light dystopian YA, with a persistently Urban Fantasy feel. An unmentioned number of..."
Plus One

"Elizabeth Fama sets her novel, PLUS ONE, in a segregated world where half of the population lives and works in..."
The Jewel (The Lone City #1)

"I have been passing by this book in the library every time I go there. It sits on the shelf,..."
The Bone Season (Scion #1)

"I'm very upset with this book. So angry, seeing red in my vision. That level of angry. It's like RED..."
The White Rose (The Lone City #2)

"Picking up almost right after The Jewel left off, The White Rose finds Violet on the run from The Duchess..."
The White Rose (The Lone City #2)

"I thoroughly enjoyed Ewing’s first book, The Jewel, which is why I preordered The White Rose as soon as I..."