Review Detail

Kids Fiction
(Updated: February 20, 2019)
Overall rating 

Plot/Characters/Writing Style 

Illustrations/Photos (if applicable) 

N/A

Gentle Summer Story

Amelia lives a quiet life in a college town with her introspective father and kindly neighbor Mrs. O’Brien, who looks after her and provides her with delicious baked goods. Amelia's mother died when she was two, and she never really misses her, but she wishes her father were a bit more fun. When she is stuck in town during spring break, she spends a lot of time making clay creations at Louise's pottery shop, and befriends Louise's nephew Casey, who is spending his spring break with his aunt while his parents go on a marriage retreat to try to improve their troubled marriage. The two work on some clay projects and also spend time eating lunch in town and making up elaborate stories about the people they see in the street. Casey makes up a story about a woman he sees, and tells Amelia that it is her mother. It isn't, of course, but it IS the woman her father is dating. Her father is going to break up with Hannah, thinking that Amelia would not like such a drastic change in her life, but Amelia starts to realize that she would like a mother figure in her life, so she connects with Hannah and her father's relationship is given a new chance. Casey must return home, and his parents decide to separate.

Good Points
This reminded me a lot of the novels of Sarah MacLachlan or Cynthia Rylant's Rosetown-- short, quiet, and introspective. They all deal with a variety of sad things in a gentle way, and the children involved have a strong support network of caring adults. This book even references Emily Dickinson (the title is from one of her poems). I can see this being used as a class read aloud.

I loved that this shows children doing ordinary, slightly boring things in the summer in a small town. I especially liked the pottery painting shop; there was one at the end of my street growing up, and while I only went there a couple of times with a friend, I thought it was fascinating!

Middle grade students struggling with divorce and parents who are involved in relationships is something I would like to see more in literature. This topic is especially well covered here, as it is in Schwartz's Smart cookie, Weston's Speed of Life, and Cherry's Ella Unleashed.

Henkes, better know for his picture books about exuberant mice like Lily's Purple Plastic Purse, has a long history of very touching books, like The Zebra Wall, Olive's Ocean, and Junonia.
Was this review helpful to you? 

Comments

Ordering 

Already have an account? or Create an account

Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

Tin
Tin
In an alternative England of the 1930s where the laws...

0.0 (0)
Stolen Girl
Nadia is haunted by World War II. Her memories of...

0.0 (0)
The Iliad
More than three thousand years ago, two armies faced each...

0.0 (0)
A Light Amongst Shadows
James Spencer is hardly the typical troubled youth who ends...

0.0 (0)
the orphan fixed.jpg
Sometimes the ones who save us are the ones we...

0.0 (0)
Astrid the Unstoppable
Pippi Longstocking meets Heidi meets Anne Shirley in this tale...

0.0 (0)
Dreamland
In his sleep, Louie starts visiting a magical world where...

0.0 (0)
Me, Shakespeare and the Anti-Love Club
Heartbroken and spurned Kassidy starts an Anti-Love Club in response...

0.0 (0)
The Last Hope (The Raging Ones, #2)
Sacrifice all you have to survive. ...

0.0 (0)
NewBookCover.jpg
The Akakies, a peaceful, technologically advanced alien species known as...

5.0 (1)
A new, revised edition of Edward Willett’s multi-award-winning young adult...

0.0 (0)
Love at First Fight
Band Geek vs Quarterback... One humiliating photo, a stupid...

0.0 (0)
Ellie Quinn has spent most of her sixteen years behind...

0.0 (0)
King Geek vs the Cheerleader Julia Farrow...

0.0 (0)
Gamer vs Player Some girls have a...

0.0 (0)
Long live Solaris. One bloodthirsty ruler has...

0.0 (0)

Latest Member Reviews

Wilder Girls

"It's been eighteen months since Hetty and her friends have been quarantined at the Raxter School for Girls. A deadly..."
House of Salt and Sorrows

"HOUSE OF SALT AND SORROWS is an elegant and enchanting dark YA fantasy. Fans of the 12 Dancing Princesses will..."
Skyward

"Sanderson raises the YA sci-fi quality bar in this high-flying story of human survival, friendship, legacy, loss, and confronting enormous..."
The Girl with the Broken Heart

"THE GIRL WITH THE BROKEN HEART is Lurlene McDaniel’s latest YA contemporary novel. The story follows Kenzie as she throws..."
Stronger, Faster, and More Beautiful

"Just wow. This is a chilling, haunting portrayal of what might be the long-term consequences of tampering with our bodies...."
Watch You Burn

"Jenny is an arsonist who has an addiction of watching things burn. When she moves in with her dad, she..."
Bud, Not Buddy

"Bud not Buddy is awesome! im in year 9 and im reading it in school for an assignment. On the..."
The Cheerleaders

"Writing reviews for Kara Thomas’s books proved to be a great challenge for me, so I’ll try my very best..."
Genuine Fraud

"Interesting, quick read. You're held a bit at a distance because of the nature of this narrator, but it's worth..."
One of Us is Lying

"WHAT I LOVED: One of Us Is Lying presents us with a remarkably strong base for the mystery to come:..."
Antisocial

"WHAT I LOVED: I’ve always tried to be my best self online, but even I’m terrified at the idea of..."
Strange New World

"Dahlia 16 just found out her whole life is a lie and that she's not a clone after all...."
Brave New Girl

"All Dahlia 16 knows is that she's just one of five thousand identical girls that's sole purpose is to work..."
Freshmen

"Luke and Phoebe both attended the same high school and now are at the same university. Phoebe has had..."
Finding Audrey

"I think this is one of Kinsella's finest books. There is so much heart, struggle, and soul to this book...."
Dead Girls Society

"Hope is smothered by her mother and limited by her Cystic Fibrosis, desperate to get out and be a normal..."
What To Say Next

"I had fun meeting both David and Kit and I cannot wait to get the chance to re-read the book..."
Tell Me Three Things

"It all began with an email from SN offering guidance to our heroine Jessie Holmes in navigating the jungle that..."
The Beauty That Remains

"The Beauty That Remains is a heartbreaking portrayal of loss, grief, and coping. It relates the stories of Autumn, Logan,..."
Genuine Fraud

"GENUINE FRAUD by E. Lockhart is a character-driven thriller that is told in reverse chronological order. In essence, the book..."