Review Detail

Overall rating 

Plot/Characters/Writing Style 

Illustrations/Photos (if applicable) 

N/A

Nice Twist on a Classic

Guinevere and Arthur get along quite well, practicing their fighting and trying to stay out of the way of the knights who terrorize the peasants they are trying to help. They are young, and Arthur's position is precarious, but they care for each other deeply. In modern times, Sophie and Stu hang out together and are big fans of a video game where they must defeat the evil Morgana. However, Stu's step brother Lucas has gotten Stu to try out for the soccer team, and Sophie feels him slipping away from her. When Guinevere and Arthur accidentally lose a very important sword from Merlin's collection right before a big tournament, Merlin has to use his powers to get the weapon back, and this includes sending Sophie a computer code that makes her travel back in time! When Arthur gets pulled to the present, and Stu goes back to impersonate Arthur and pulls the sword from the stone while under a glamor to look like him, things get oddly complicated. Add to this the trouble the kids have with their romances (Arthur Googles himself in the present day and finds out about Guinevere's relationship with Lancelot, which doesn't make him happy!), and the precarious situation that time travel and changing the course of history puts them in, and this is a harrowing twist on the Arthurian cycle.

Good Points
Camelot and Arthurian legend is always popular, and this is an interesting cyber twist, sort of like VandeVelde's 2002 Heir Apparent series. I love that this had time travel between Arthurian times and today, and while the mechanism for the travel was a little more complicated than I usually liked, it was well described and very fun! Tying this in to gaming is a particularly good choice, and Mancusi has definite chops when it comes to writing about the gamer world. Gamer Girl (2008) still holds up today!

I read an interview with the author that this started out as more of a young adult title, and the romances in the book back that up. They are completely appropriate for middle grades, but the depth of the emotion and the expected length of the relationships made them seem more like high schoolers. Since this reflects the characters in the original, I think this is a good choice. You can't very well have Guinevere and Lancelot date only for two weeks, which is about average for a middle school relationship!

Hand this one to readers who can't get enough of this era and have already read Gale's The Wizard's Dog, Yolen's Sword of the Rightful King, Reeve's Here Lies Arthur, McKenzie's Guinevere's Gamble, Crossley-Holland's The Seeing Stone, and everything by Gerald Morris!
Was this review helpful to you? 

Comments

Ordering 

Already have an account? or Create an account