Review Detail

Kids Fiction
Overall rating 

Plot/Characters/Writing Style 

Illustrations/Photos (if applicable) 

N/A

Moving from the country to the city

Rain's family has experienced a tragedy-- her older brother was killed in a car accident. The mother thinks that the answer to their protracted grief is moving from a farm in Vermont to New York City, where she has taken a job in a big hospital. Rain's stay-at-home father seems to be a motivating factor behind the move, because he has been having trouble even getting out of bed in the morning. Moving to the city doesn't seem like the best idea for him, since his primary activity in Vermont was gardening. Rain's not happy having to transition to a new school and also feels that her brother's death is her fault, but she manages to make friends, keep up with her running, and complete the volunteer hours her new school requires. She loves working at Ms. Dacie's, where children and families can stop by to get help with all manner of matters, and work in the garden as well. However, funding has been pulled, and Ms. Dacie may need to close. Rain tries to get her father involved in an effort to get him to be functional once again, and also tries to get her mother to realize that she and her father are in pain and need to process it differently than she does.

Good Points
The descriptions of both Rain's home in Vermont and and in New York are very vivid. Even though the move is a generally unwanted one, both seem full of opportunities and their own forms of excitement. It would have been nice to have a little more information about Rain's mother's working situation in both settings, but the new home does seem like an excellent place for both Rain and her father to be.

Rain's new school mates are also very interesting. She is realistically portrayed as missing her best friend Izzy in Vermont, but she manages to befriend the prickly Frankie (whose best friend had lived in Rain's apartment) and shy Amelia. Her teacher, Mrs. Baldwin, is very supportive, giving her books to read and encouraging her writing. Ms. Dacie's is a bustling and vibrant environment filled with all manner of understanding, supportive people.

Readers who enjoyed Benjamin's The Thing about Jellyfish, Kelly's You Go First or Haydu's The Someday Suitcase will find this a sad but somewhat hopeful journey through grief.
Was this review helpful to you? 

Comments

Ordering 

Already have an account? or Create an account

Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

Peppa in Space (Peppa Pig)
Get ready for a Peppa Pig story that's out of...

0.0 (0)
The Stars We Steal
Engagement season is in the air. Eighteen-year-old Princess Leonie “Leo”...

0.0 (0)
Pete the Cat and the Itsy Bitsy Spirder
Pete the Cat’s cool adaptation of the classic children’s song...

0.0 (0)
Superlative Birds
Explore the fascinating world of superlative birds―from the bee hummingbird,...

0.0 (0)
In Another Life
Chloe was three years old when she became Chloe Holden,...

0.0 (0)
Even Monsters Go To School
What’s a school day like for you? ...

0.0 (0)
Can Cat and Bird Be Friends
In a sweet and clever picture book from debut author-illustrator...

0.0 (0)
Origami Bible Stories For Kids
Perfect for Sunday school lessons and youth group activities--paper figures...

0.0 (0)
Pig the Stinker
In this hilarious adventure, Pig the Pug STINKS! Pig likes...

0.0 (0)
Little Rabbit Lost
It is Little Rabbit’s birthday and his family surprises him...

0.0 (0)
Cece Loves Science and Adventure
Cece loves science and adventure! ...

0.0 (0)
Hannah Sparkles: Hooray For the First Day of School
Cheer along with Hannah Sparkles on her first day of...

0.0 (0)
Turtle and Tortoise Are Not Friends
This is Turtle. This is...

0.0 (0)
Trace
In a debut novel that's perfect for fans of Jason...

0.0 (0)
When Summer Ends
Three months Two changed fates One...

0.0 (0)
Mystery Club (Mr. Wolf's Class #2)
Mr. Wolf's students are settling into their new classroom, and...

0.0 (0)

Latest Member Reviews

"Rowling wrote Fantastic Beasts & Where to Find Them, along with Quidditch Through the Ages, as a supplement to the..."
Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (Harry Potter #2)

"I remember watching this movie on VHS at my grandmothers with my cousin while we wrapped Christmas presents. We would..."

"This was my least favorite movie adaptation, but so far, it's my favorite book in the series. It was..."
Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire

"I admit, I read the books after the movies were released. This was my absolute favorite movie so I..."
Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (Book 1)

"Every teenager wishes they were special, and When Harry Potter finds out that he is his life is transformed from..."

"Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows is the beginning of the end. This book is very intense. There is a..."

"Finally at 21 years of age, I get the chance to read this! I've been waiting for quite some time...."

"Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, wow, what a book! This book made me laugh, shiver, whoop and collapse into..."
Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (Harry Potter #6)

"It is Harry Potter's sixth year at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. As Voldermort's sinister forces amass and a..."
Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix

"This book is my all-time favorite of the series, which is saying something because I've read the series over 14..."

"Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix is the thickest, heaviest book of them all, and what like what..."
Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire

"Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire is the fourth book in the much loved Harry Potter Series. This book..."

"Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban is the third book in the brilliant Harry Potter, and J. K. Rowling..."
Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (Harry Potter #2)

"Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets is the second book in the Harry Potter series, and is about Harry's..."
Quidditch Through the Ages (Harry Potter Companion Books #2)

"Quidditch Through the Ages is a sweet little companion book that teaches Harry Potter fans how to play the much..."

"Harry Potter, one of the most amazing books ever written. It started off with simple stories at bedtime that grew..."

"I’ve always liked the Harry Potter supplementary materials, mostly because I love reading things that the characters could have read...."

"I had very high hopes for it because it is so popular, but I guess popular opinion is stupid. I..."

"A thrill ride that is better than a rollercoaster"