Review Detail

Overall rating 

Plot/Characters/Writing Style 

Illustrations/Photos (if applicable) 

Perfect for Halloween

As fall approaches, Geronimo is busy working in his newspaper office when he starts to see strange things-- his co workers whispering about scary things, coffins being moved outside, and everyone trying to distract him when he investigates. Thinking he needs a break, he's glad to see his friend Creepella von Cacklefur visiting his sister. She invites him for a restful getaway at her castle, and soon they are off. Instead of having a solitary, stress-free vacation, other mice show up at the castle, including a scientist, a film director, and a new gardener, and all of them are competing for Creepella's attention. Geronimo stays in the room of the headless ghost, and creepy things seem to have followed him! Between cat phantoms and werewolf pumpkins, Geronimo has his work cut out for him, investigating the mystery and trying to stay away from the voracious pumpkins!

Good Points
This heavily illustrated, colorful adventure will appeal to readers who love Geronimo Stilton, and might be a great way to introduce fans of Halloween books to this series. Even children who are middle school aged secretly love Halloween, but there are very few holiday books produced for them.

Geronimo is pleasantly clueless, and younger readers will laugh at all of the mistakes he makes. He over reacts to everything, screaming at the top of his rodent lungs and often fainting. Of course, he is also very interested in food, although he is not a fan of the stew that the castle cook likes to make. He does like his cheese, and mentions different tasty tidbits often.

There are lots of fun details to find in the pictures during rereads of the book as well. In addition to a map of the mouse world and pages with different casts of characters, there are some puzzles and jokes.

Reminiscent of a smaller format comic book, Geronimo Stilton books offer a simple story, lots of laugh out loud moments, and plenty of colorful pictures to delight fans who have moved beyond Babymouse and Squish and are enjoying the work of Raina Telgemeier and Victoria Jamieson.
Was this review helpful to you? 

Comments

Ordering 

Already have an account? or Create an account

Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

Clink A Story of Cyberbullying
Click is the heroic story of a young girl who...

0.0 (0)
On Blood Road (A Vietnam War Novel)
The last place on earth Taylor Sorenson wants to be...

0.0 (0)
Aiden is the son of a fisherman on the south...

0.0 (0)
A Thousand Sisters: The Heroic Airwomen of the Soviet Union in World War II
In the early years of World War II, Josef Stalin...

0.0 (0)
The Faithful Spy: Dietrich Bonhoeffer and the Plot to Kill Hitler
Adolf Hitler’s Nazi party is gaining strength and becoming more...

0.0 (0)
New Kid
Seventh grader Jordan Banks loves nothing more than drawing cartoons...

0.0 (0)
Watch Hollow
Deep within the enchanted woods in the town of Watch...

0.0 (0)
Giant Days
Based on the hit graphic-novel series from BOOM! Studios, the...

0.0 (0)
The Unteachables
The Unteachables are a notorious class of misfits, delinquents, and...

0.0 (0)
Tales from the Inner City is a collection of incredibly...

0.0 (0)
Gamer Army
After Rogan Webber levels up yet again on his favorite...

0.0 (0)
The world tilted for Elodee this year, and now it’s...

0.0 (0)
Right as Rain
It’s been almost a year since Rain’s brother Guthrie died,...

0.0 (0)
Charlie, Mac, and Maria managed to rescue the Project Chimera...

0.0 (0)
Bravelands #3: Blood and Bone
Set in the African savannah and told from three different...

0.0 (0)
Tom Gates Is Absolutely Fantastic (at Some Things) (#5)
Since Tom forgets everything, it’s not surprising that he forgot...

0.0 (0)

Latest Member Reviews

Parasite Life

"Jane is stuck in a creepy old house with her invalid mother. She has no idea why her mother is..."
Hearts Unbroken

N/A
"There are a lot of entry-points to the storylines in Cynthia Leitich Smith's Hearts Unbroken. I recommend this book especially..."
With Malice

"I loved this book, it kept me thinking afterwards for days. "The truth is how you tell it," take that..."
IF I FIX YOU

"The book is more like a 4.5 but I am going to give it a 5 star read because the..."
Enchantée

"After the death of her parents to smallpox, Camille Durbonne struggles to get by with her younger sister Sofie. One..."
The Penderwicks at Last

"THE PENDERWICKS AT LAST is the last in the series of Jeanne Birdsall's books about the Penderwick family. In this..."
Ever the Hunted (Clash of Kingdoms)

""Ever the Hunted" is an incredible YA fantasy with a touch of romance. The story begins with Britta, starving and..."
Bud, Not Buddy

"Bud not Buddy is awesome! im in year 9 and im reading it in school for an assignment. On the..."
The Star-Touched Queen

"I enjoyed this rich world. I felt like I was there seeing the lure with my own eyes. I loved..."
Elixir (Covenant Series #3.5)

"This was so refreshing, to see a little snippet into the almost perfect Aiden's head, we get to see how..."
Stone Cold Touch (Dark Elements #2)

"This installment picks up just a few weeks after Roth has sacrificed himself at the end of White Hot Kiss...."
The Iron Flower (The Black Witch Chronicles Book 2)

"*I was lucky enough for NetGalley and Harlequin Teen to approve me for this ARC in exchange for an honest..."
Ever the Hunted (Clash of Kingdoms)

"Feedback I adored this book so much! There were so many parts of this book that I just loved...."
Ever the Brave (Clash of Kingdoms book 2)

"Feedback I was so excited to continue this series. There was so much that happened in book one which..."
Dear Evan Hansen: The Novel

""Dear Evan Hansen" is a sad but sweet YA contemporary that addresses anxiety and the power of a small lie...."
Welcome Home

"I have mixed feelings about anthologies. Anthologies are a great way to be introduced to new authors. However, in..."
HOW SHE DIED, HOW I LIVED

"What worked: Gripping tale that deals with survivor guilt after a horrific murder. This story is intense, but one I..."
The Tesla Legacy

"When Lucy discovers a hidden door in the Tesla Suite, she's surprised to discover an egg. Curiosity gets the better..."
Snow in Love

"SNOW IN LOVE features four short stories that really get you into the Christmas spirit and they've also added some..."

"So after the explosive and frankly what the hell ending to Nexis, Redux is finally here! Nexis left me with..."